Newborn Kid problems

Cberggren

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello so we've had 4 goats kid lately and last night one of the Mommas was giving birth to a breached baby, the baby came out and it's brother followed. However the one that breached won't feed on its own, has to be bottle fed. It's eyes hasn't opened yet and can't stand but the brother is in great shape (walking, jumping Ect.) so I have no clue what is going on with the other one.. Does anybody have ideas? In the mean time I'll keep it warm and keep trying to feed the little one.

Reactions: TAH

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!

Can you have a vet look at the kid? This is NOT normal, having a vet evaluate the kid would be best.

Does the kid lay flat on its side?

Does it try to stand at all?

Will it lift its head?

Is it male or female?

Does it have any visible defects?

How much is this kid eating?

Does it suckle on its own?

How much does it weigh?

Would it be possible to get some pics and post them?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Cberggren and welcome to BYH. Sorry your goat kid is having problems. One of our goat resident experts just answered ahead of me. Hope he/she comes around.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 Everything that GW said!

I would be concerned that the breech baby might have inhaled birthing fluids. I think it would be a good idea to get this baby seen by a vet.

Another question: Has the baby pooped? Kids needs to pass the meconium. I doubt that is the root of his problems though, but it is something you need to think about since he is so weak.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother right about the meconium! Has the kid been checked thoroughly to make sure all the "parts" are there?

We have had a few breech before, some inhaled fluids but it absorbs fairly quickly. I find it very odd that the kid hasn't opened its eyes yet. I have never seen that before. That's where I think having a vet evaluate the situation is best.

Cberggren

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!

Can you have a vet look at the kid? This is NOT normal, having a vet evaluate the kid would be best.

Does the kid lay flat on its side?

Does it try to stand at all?

Will it lift its head?

Is it male or female?

Does it have any visible defects?

How much is this kid eating?

Does it suckle on its own?

How much does it weigh?

Would it be possible to get some pics and post them?

Good news! The kid is doing much better than yesterday.. She's lifting her head up on her own (still can't walk and seems strained ) she opens her eyes more than previous, though I do notice a thick liquid (discharge?)

She still won't suckle on its own so we get enough into her via syringe. The only defect I notice is the eyes not opening... She is pooping. We tend to feed her 4oz every 4 hrs.

She was a breached birth so possibly hypoxia ? As for the eyes I mean and being so weak..

Had the vet come out to check the kid and that was his thoughts aswell but he didn't quite know.

As for the weight, I'm not sure. Probably close to her brother which is doing just fine. (Running, jumping, Ect ..)

Thoughts???

Thanks!!

Cberggren

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 161