Newborn kid with wry neck

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a newborn kid, born with a wry neck. She was breach and I had to help with a little traction to her legs, but otherwise, no know birth injury. She hangs her head down and can't seem to lift it by herself above the level of her shoulders. She is now 2 days old, nurses well, and seems active, although she does not do the happy dance that her brother does. I have been doing "physical therapy" 4 - 5 times a day and although I can passively move her head in all directions she does not seem to want/or is not able to do it herself. My thought is that she was in a bad position in her momma, but I have never heard of this and can't seem to find much on line about it. I have given her a bose injection and a vit b injection just in case, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Has anyone ever seen this in their goats and what did you do if anything to help. She is of course the prettiest of the kids so far this season and I would hate to have to put her down because of a weak neck when otherwise she seems to be doing ok..... Opinions Please!!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I have no advice to offer as I have never seen this. :idunno

I would have suspected the same thing, poor positioning, but I would think that by now, her muscles should have relaxed/stretched/strengthened to the point that she should be able to move normally. I would likely have done the BoSe as well if I felt that her muscles needed a boost. Hope she comes around for you!:fl

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks you all. We will definitely keep up the work for a while, I just wish I know if she was going to improve. This is one of the challenges of animal husbandry right? Here is a picture to show you what I am talking about. She is the pretty white one with lovely long ears. (Mini Nubian)
20160317_144201.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She's a beauty alright... I sure hope she pulls through.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with giving her a chance - she is really a pretty girl. But, after a few days if it doesn't look to be improving it might be worth an x-ray or an exam by a vet to see what you're dealing with. It almost looks like there might be an upward/outward curve to the top of her neck - or it could just as easily be her hair making it look like that. Please keep us informed - looks like a great learning experience for a bunch of us. Just sorry that you're having to deal with this. :hugs

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So today is day 4. She did a little of the happy dance for the first time today. She is nursing well with no assistance and perhaps pulled her head above her shoulders for just a second today. Will keep you posted. It is slow, but perhaps a little progress. Still hopeful