News about Chewy

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey All,

I haven't been on in awhile due to a busy summer, more travel than normal. Chewy had a check up yesterday. I was a little concerned about him. He seemed like he had lost weight or wasn't gaining. His behavior didn't seem any different than his typical slow pace self. They called me. He had fluid in his belly. I went in (to find out exactly what was going on, I worked there for a long time). They told me he was in cognitive heart failure. They took 2000ml off his belly. The vet and I spoke extensively. His prognosis isn't good. He was already taking the highest dose of lasic. He struggled on the steps so we've kept him inside. He isn't eating much. I went back in to see the vet again to discuss what I was seeing--- very labored breathing, not being able to do the stairs. The vet confirmed what I believed. We have made the difficult decision to put him down. I refuse to allow him to suffer. Of course this evening, he acted like he wanted to go downstairs. He struggled to do that but accomplished it. He and Gracie were able to see each other again. I brought her inside and he tried to play with her. It wore him out completely. This just breaks my heart. We knew this from the beginning but it sure doesn't make it any easier. I just wanted to let y'all know. You're always so supportive. We will take him tomorrow evening once Herb gets off work.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really sorry to read this, :hugs:( :hugs will be thinking of you....
it's really hard to do the kindest act that we can do to ease our loved animals pain :hugs:(:hugs

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugsI am so sorry for your loss. I share a portion of a poem that another wrote to a friend who made this decision, as you have had to do. I hope it brings some comfort within.

You're giving me a special gift,
so sorrowfully endowed.
And through these last few cherished days,
your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
when your best friend is in pain.
And undertaking earthly acts
will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic that will
once more make me whole.