Newspapers as bedding

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have heard of people using newspapers as bedding/toys for their rabbits, but is it actually safe for them to ingest? If I give it to them they will eat it/chew it to pieces, so I want to be sure its completely safe first.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have heard of people using newspapers as bedding/toys for their rabbits, but is it actually safe for them to ingest? If I give it to them they will eat it/chew it to pieces, so I want to be sure its completely safe first.
Bleached paper with ink made of questionable ingredients? I wouldn't.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thought so. I've seen some ideas on like pinterest (what a reliable source, right?) involving newspaper in rabbit toys, si figured I'd ask.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use pine shavings. You can get a big bag at TSC. Would last a long time for a small bunny.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you keep a garden? I save mine all of my cornhusks and dry them. I tie them into little cornhusk dolls with hemp or just twine for an edible toy. Sometimes I also tie little treats inside (I got the treat recipe on Pinterest). They also love corncobs. I don't know what cornhusks or the dried corncob bedding/mulch that you can buy wouldn't work for house rabbit bedding. I have used it for pet rats before.

I also will put some of their treats and dried leaves and herbs in toilet paper or paper towel tubes (also a Pinterest idea) I'm sure the cardboard isn't great for them, but at least it's not bleached and it don't have questionable inks or dyes.

I don't use much bedding, except for nesting does. My cages have wire flooring and I just provide my rabbits a resting board. I usually use straw, but have provided bits of wool or unbleached cotton if it gets super cold or I have a doe that does not pull enough fur. I have used ricehulls in the past when I had hutches with solid floors. I saw a Pinterest pin once that suggesed saving dryer lint for nest box material.. I think that is a terrible idea because unless you wear only natural fibers and use natural laundry products I wouldn't imagine it would be safe for baby rabbits.

Pinterest can be a great place to find ideas. Some are great and some are not so great. It looks like you have a good instincts and can spot the ones that might not be so great or you wouldn't be double checking it over here!

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Right now, I'm using hay and old towels as bedding. It can get to 20 below (without windchill) where I live, which makes the wire on the cages disgustingly cold; in the winter, I pretty much cover the bottoms of the cages with cardboard and bedding (so much wasted hay :hit).
Love the corncob idea! I will certainly try that. The toilet paper/paper towel tubes stuffed with hay is my favorite. I used to be hesitant about giving them cardboard, but they're not dead yet, so... Mine love big cardboard boxes stuffed with hay.
What the..dryer lint?!?
@Rammy are the shavings safe for them to ingest?

Latest posts