newton's the goats journal

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I promise I will keep an eye on her lol. She wasn't the one doing the actual chasing though :lol:. We have her trained so that she is not allowed using her mouth while playing so she boxes with her paws and uses her speed to get out of situations lol. Though I will always be careful! I'm glad you like it so far :D and I'm right beside you cheering newton on all the way :caf

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's to hoping she drops tonight... would be the perfect night for the doe code to kick in. Sopposed to have 18 inches out here with crazy winds :confused: She has been pacing all day walking in circles and has been very vocal.... and pawing more so than usual if not tonight then hopefully tomorrow.....:caf

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nice start to your journal! Thanks for sharing :D So, since nobody else has "gone there" and since history tends to repeat itself, you do know that Katahdin sheep are year round breeders, right? :barnie You also know that a lamb ewe is able to be bred as early as 3-6 months of age right? :ep You also know that a ram lamb becomes fertile and capable of breeding said ewes and lambs as young as 4 months of age right? :th You do recall (as in; it's in progress) being stressed waiting for Newton to kid right?:old Ummm... so when do you start counting days for those 5 ewes? :rant :hide Chances are, given the opportunity, Gordon has already had his way with them sweet young things. :he

:ya<--for Grandpa :)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice start to your journal! Thanks for sharing :D So, since nobody else has "gone there" and since history tends to repeat itself, you do know that Katahdin sheep are year round breeders, right? :barnie You also know that a lamb ewe is able to be bred as early as 3-6 months of age right? :ep You also know that a ram lamb becomes fertile and capable of breeding said ewes and lambs as young as 4 months of age right? :th You do recall (as in; it's in progress) being stressed waiting for Newton to kid right?:old Ummm... so when do you start counting days for those 5 ewes? :rant :hide Chances are, given the opportunity, Gordon has already had his way with them sweet young things. :he

:ya<--for Grandpa :)
Oh yes I have read all of such things and have been VERY vocal with my father on the subject but he keeps saying how since the ground is frozen (Once AGAIN!) We can't bury posts or build another field. ... as soon as that happens the mothers and Ramsey will be put in a seperate field so not only can the mothers fully wean their daughters, they can also put on some extra weight.... dad seems to thinking their breeding season is in June and other warmer months (or at least that's when he is aiming for the breeding to start) Ramsey still doesn't seem like he's put two and two together yet :fl and I'm hoping I can get him out of the field before anything happens. I've made sure to be with them for a few hours a day be it cleaning or just goofing around with them, I haven't seen Ramsey attempt anything like mounting or any flirtatious behavior yet, so hopefully he's a bit of a later bloomer than most....:hu:barnie but I guess just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening lol

Last edited:

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And for the cow, the story behind it is my grandfather helped some friends who own and live on a dairy farm just up the street with taking down one of their barns. In return for his help they are offering him any bull calf he wants ( though only 1 have been born yet this year :gig.).... but as per usual I will likely have the job of caring for it as I do all the animals on the farm now, including grooming, feeding, and even doing hoofs so this should be "fun" lol hope this little guy is polled! :hide

:ya

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yet again no baby this morning instead I woke up to a blanket of white and very annoyed animals who I had to dig out of their sheds. Fun morning so far :\.

As promised I sent pictures of the flock back to the breeder today (she would like updates on their conditions every once and a while and she gives me advice on different things) and she was very happy with them and said I'm become quite the little shepard :D =D. She told from the looks of ramsay so far, he should have a nice looking mane and good face :p. They are all pretty happy, but won't be as happy once I seperate moms and Ramsey into a secondary enclosure :confused:.

Newton is just being difficult now (or atleast her baby is) she looks like she swallowed a beach ball with the air still in it..:rolleyes:... poor girl... half the time she just gives up laying down, a minute ago I caught her sleeping sitting like a dog, but she woke up before I could get a picture :gig
Screenshot_2017-03-14-11-54-03-1.png
Screenshot_2017-03-14-11-54-07-1.png

This is her from up above, she looks like she's thinned out a bit.... but not really still bloated...
Screenshot_2017-03-14-11-54-11-1.png

C'mon goat!

In other news my chicks (5 days old) are growing immensely quickly, they went from this
Screenshot_2017-03-14-11-54-29-1.png

To this
20170314_122052.jpg
Some of them have even developed parts of their wings so far (one has flight feathers already :ep)
They are still so small but are so fuzzy :love

The sheep have finally come out into the snow and the lambs are happily jousting and their moms just relaxing lol
20170313011104.JPG
They have so far flattened out all the snow around their shed
20170313011114.JPG

20170313011129.JPG

(To be honest that last photo was from yesterday lol)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask! That sure doesn't look like even a very weak "was SUPPOSED to be 18" of snow" amount.

I'm guessing they are hanging inside today. They look healthy.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was going to ask! That sure doesn't look like even a very weak "was SUPPOSED to be 18" of snow" amount.

I'm guessing they are hanging inside today. They look healthy.
Ya they are lol just hopping around in the snow seem like they are having fun. Actually looking at the photos bow I think they are all from yesterday lol

Last edited: