newton's the goats journal

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dare I ask just WHERE this lady lives? Of course those of us south of the border can't really help, no desire to figure out getting sheep through customs.
She lives in illinois lol so a bit of a ways away from me... but honestly.... i just want the lamb that badly :lol:

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would love to get some of that spottibg color into the flock and sadly there arent people willing to sell ones like that near me... which is frustrating so hence the probability of a long ass road trip down to the states :D =D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK so now you DO need to figure out the import part. I'm not sure sheep are covered in NAFTA ;)

What part of Illinois? We can start a "pass the sheep" chain:
@Pastor Dave and @promiseacres live in Indiana, @misfitmorgan lives in Michigan, you are in Ontario near Toronto IIRC. Anyone live in Illinois? Of course @misfitmorgan is pretty far up the mitten and you would want your ram to go through near Detroit. Hmmmm. Maybe there is someone who lives in southern Michigan?

:D

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think she said argenta illinois. Honeslty i have no clue where that is :lol: and if we are able to start a pass the sheep chain you guys would be the best people ever!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure hope the job turns out well for ya, it could be a very interesting job for ya and a chance to learn a whole bunch about meat and cuts....tho, the starting out with cleanup can bit a bit daunting....it isn't mucking a barn or yard, but it does have to be "Inspection Ready" everyday. I worked in a slaughter house for 6mnths one time and started out on cleanup....so, I do have experience with it....then, I went to pulling orders and loading trucks....the biggest fore-quarter I ever had to handle by myself was 425#....it was a struggle to say the least, but got it done. I'm sure ya will do fine with the people, just be respectful and polite....:)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope the job turns out well for ya, it could be a very interesting job for ya and a chance to learn a whole bunch about meat and cuts....tho, the starting out with cleanup can bit a bit daunting....it isn't mucking a barn or yard, but it does have to be "Inspection Ready" everyday. I worked in a slaughter house for 6mnths one time and started out on cleanup....so, I do have experience with it....then, I went to pulling orders and loading trucks....the biggest fore-quarter I ever had to handle by myself was 425#....it was a struggle to say the least, but got it done. I'm sure ya will do fine with the people, just be respectful and polite....:)
He told my teacher he would know within the first hour of me working there if i was someone he would want to keep or not.... which is kinda scarey, but i am determined to do this! I really want this job! I would be working part time in both the butcher side of things and the other part in the restraunt (in the other half of the building) now i just need to prove to him in the next interview that this is the job im made for! I may even be helping on the kill floor once i have enough experience but thats a major maybe! I mean i want to learn as much as i can! Any advixe you could give me? @CntryBoy777

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you check out any of the breeders I found in your area?

It's awesome that you will have a baby brother. How exciting!

Hope you get the job, you would learn a lot.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Listen, pay attention to instructions, be observant, and stay busy.....if ya don't understand what is being told to ya, then ask clarifying questions. Any job out there always has their own terminology, lingo, and slang....the faster ya learn it the easier it becomes. If there is slack time, then look for a broom or pick-up an area to tidy it up....looking busy means you are willing to work....sitting around talking or doing nothing means ya expect to be paid for minimum work. If ya are on clean-up, then pay attention to detail. The place I worked at was USDA inspected everyday and if 1 tiny shred of fat or sinew was found in a saw, then the whole room had to be recleaned and reinspected before they could start doing any work in that room. Always clean from Top to Bottom....all the tallest equipment 1st, then cutting boards and tables, then floor...otherwise ya will be double or triple working yourself. If ya are using a water hose, when the water hits anything lower it will splash tiny tidbits of meat, fat, or tissue wherever it lands. Notice the teeth on the saw and spray or wipe them in the direction the teeth are pointing, the tidbits come out much easier. There will be plenty of blood too, so be prepared for that, but if working in refridgeration the smell will not be bad, because the temps will keep the smells down....the kill floor is a bit different story.....:)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK so now you DO need to figure out the import part. I'm not sure sheep are covered in NAFTA ;)

What part of Illinois? We can start a "pass the sheep" chain:
@Pastor Dave and @promiseacres live in Indiana, @misfitmorgan lives in Michigan, you are in Ontario near Toronto IIRC. Anyone live in Illinois? Of course @misfitmorgan is pretty far up the mitten and you would want your ram to go through near Detroit. Hmmmm. Maybe there is someone who lives in southern Michigan?

:D

Yes there is someone on here that lives a ways south of me but i can't recall who it is right this minute. What you need is someone in Ohio then newton could meet them in detroit or something to handle the border crossing stuff. I know last time i looked into it there was quarantine and stuff involved.