newton's the goats journal

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welp ladies and gents... guess what.... i know exactly what im getting for my birthday ;) lol

Btw i need help picking a ram! Im purchasing one off this lady and she has two i really like!. They are both young and have a good temperment! ok lets have your opinions guys XD the fate of next breeding times set of lambs is in your hands lmfao
received_10155574008052950.jpeg

(More red)
received_10155574007742950.jpeg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
#1 is better IMO if you had to pick one right now--from what I can tell he's a little less masculine, but he does have good muscling in the front and back. I like #2's face and masculine features, but he has very poor muscling, see how "sunken" his shoulders muscles look? (Hopefully that's not just a hair thickness difference). Both seem to have small humps where the shoulders and the spine meet, not really ideal but not too much of an issue (reason for wanting straight backs is longevity of the resulting ewe lambs and their ability to carry heavy pregnancies later in life without trouble). Show us scrotum pics! Check their teeth, teats (yes, even on the boys!), hooves, eyelids. Ask how many times they've been wormed. Ask if they were singles or twins.

Honestly, unless you've watched them grow up, it's so much easier to see their full development when they're a little older, like around 8-10 months.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's hard to see at that age but I agree with #1 also. You may have said it in an earlier post but what are the breeds. Some of the sheep in the pictures look like Katahdin but the rams you are showing look like they have some (maybe a lot) of Barbados Sheep in them.

That isn't a bad thing by the way if they are. A little flightier but good parasite resistance and a bit smaller.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Mike CHS both rams are barbedos black bellies #1 is around 5 months #2 is around 7 months.
@Bruce i do like his markings they make his face look more symetrical and i agree are "prettier" than the other ones.
@mysunwolf i agree they arent perfect but they arent the worst of the worst either. I feel i have higher hopes for #1 since he is still fairly young and has time to keep growing and hopefully grow out of some of his flaws. They have been wormed multiple times. I can ask for scrotum pictures but it will be a bit hard to check their eyes and teeth. This lady who im hoping to buy one off of is awesome, i bought molly and her girls and jenny and josie off of her. She takes them to the vet before the purchaser comes to pick them up for a final check up and to update them on their shots. She is one of the only breeders id consider buying from with just pictures because of how much she cares about her animals and her buyers. And welp she hasnt screwed me over yet :p and honestly i forgot to ask if they were singles or twins XD so i will do that now

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I too vote for #1....I don't have an eye like @mysunwolf or @Mike CHS for the finer points, but he looks like a higher grade animal in the pic....he too has some red in his coat and could throw some into your line....I like the coloring of #2, but #1....to me....has better form and love his markings....:)
He also has a lovely temperment! Which is another thing i want passed on to lambs.

Another plus is she is also selling me a solid black ewe who i cant wait to get my hands on! Ill try and get a photo of her :love

If you guys cant tell so far i am aiming for colors and lotsa them :p:lol: i shall some way or another end up with a rainbow (sheep color ) herd lol

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Im loving these little guys lol rhey are so cute! I got so many photo opportunities today while cleaning out their shed :)
20180128_143527.jpg
20180128_140817.jpg
20180128_140811.jpg
20180128_140605.jpg
20180128_140503.jpg
20180128_140349.jpg

Honestly its adorable how molly and jenny co-parent the lambs. Things have been rough recently so seeing all these little lambs run and play really makes me happy.