newton's the goats journal

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just saw your pics of the lamb, check his mouth. It looks like he has an under bite. That could be why he is having a problem suckling off his momma. Check for a cleft palate too.

Do you have some nutri-drench? If you do, rub some on him gums. It'll give him a boost and may help the temp.

With goat kids, you don't want to feed a kid until the temp it normal. If they have hypothermia they cannot digest the milk.

Sorry you are dealing with this :( I hope he makes it.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just saw your pics of the lamb, check his mouth. It looks like he has an under bite. That could be why he is having a problem suckling off his momma. Check for a cleft palate too.

Do you have some nutri-drench? If you do, rub some on him gums. It'll give him a boost and may help the temp.

With goat kids, you don't want to feed a kid until the temp it normal. If they have hypothermia they cannot digest the milk.

Sorry you are dealing with this :( I hope he makes it.
No underbite i checked his mouth for any signs of a cleft and found non. He was just lying a weird way in my photos and he is almost to temp. He has improved a lot and was acting hungry. Really the only reason why im actually risking feeding him. Im giving him warm colostrum as per advuce of some sheep farmers near me and his temp and energry levels are almost back to normal!! I think he will pull through!but im not gonna put him back with mom till he poops

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could get a job in town and replenish your cash stash to continue your travels.
That part of your EXCELLENT plan might be difficult. It would depend on if she could get a work visa. Given the current lack of reasonable "guest worker" laws in this country I wouldn't bet the farm on her being able to get one. Doesn't mean she shouldn't try. DD1's student visa in Canada includes working ONLY on campus, she couldn't legally take a part time job off campus.

Love the idea of a traveling Newton. I would bet there aren't many here that couldn't use an extra hand even if for only a week or two. @Latestarter sure could use one about now. And I agree, if she is leaving "now" she should visit you first, not a lot going on here at the moment. However, given DD1 has volunteered to NOT help shear Laddie this year, late May or early June would be a good time to be here :D

but im not gonna put him back with mom till he poops
Hopefully not on you in the chair ;)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce i just put him in with mom im going to try and milk her later to relieve some of the pressure on her udder and possibly bottle feed him ir force him to latch on. We have them in the old she where newton kidded before. Have a heat lamp set up qnd all that jazz just until he is strong enough.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score