newton's the goats journal

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Point me in the direction of a mountain top in ontario and i shall do as such :lol:

I live on Mountain Top Dr. so you can sit here and contemplate all you want.:lol: Let me warn you about my summers...HOT!!!!!!!!! I also live 6 hours from Yosemite National Park, one of the best. No one should visit the US without seeing Yosemite. As a kid I lived "right next door" and we used to go there for picnics and camping all of the time. My son was a ranger there for a while and now he works in the HR dept. for Yosemite. There is no way you are leaving CA without seeing that park. If I can't take you I know that my son would be more than happy to be your tour guide.

I also live about 1.5 hours from Lassen Volcanic Nat'l park and while it is interesting in its own right it is no Yosemite.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to camp in Yosemite, I believe you need to get in the lottery or something to get a spot. Way back when I was young you just drove in, found a campsite, pitched your tent and put money every day in an envelope in a box at the front of the campground. Of course back then they were still sending fireballs over (I think) Angel Falls. And we learned songs from the rangers like:
My hat it has 3 corners, 3 corners has my hat. If it did not have 3 corners, it would not be my hat!
Bonus points to anyone who heard the tune as they read the words.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I learned to play that song on my guitar when I was in Girl Scouts.

They were pushing coals off of Glacier Point and while it was called the Firefall, no actual falls were involved. Just an FYI... there in no Angle Falls in Yosemite. There is an area in the Park called Camp Curry. That is where all the concessions are, the lodge, ice rink, housekeeping camps, etc. You would hear someone yell from the top of Glacier Point, "are you ready Camp Curry?" and you would hear Camp Curry answer that they were ready and then the red hot coals would be pushed over the cliff. My dad was an avid photographer and we stuck around for the Firefalls almost every time we visited the park.

As far as camping there...you have to get online or on the phone 5 months in advance to make your reservations, and it is 5 months to the day. Those spaces are in hot demand. Fortunately my son lives close enough to the park that a person could camp in his yard and just visit the park during the day.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My hat it has 3 corners, 3 corners has my hat. If it did not have 3 corners, it would not be my hat!
Bonus points to anyone who heard the tune as they read the words.
I know that tune really well lol learned it when i went to camp as well as a few others like the campfire song etc.
@babsbag i would love a tour either by yourself or by your son! Im so excited for this trip!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not far from our new place here....ya can swim with the manatee for $60 per person....and I'll start paying attention of things to see....I may be in a position to do some fencing....I know ya have helped with that.....tho, I bet it was in different soil than here.....:lol:.....beach isn't far away....with all the stuff that ya may experience along the way....ya can always just....catch your breath with us and relax at the Lazy A** Acres.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were pushing coals off of Glacier Point and while it was called the Firefall, no actual falls were involved. Just an FYI... there in no Angle Falls in Yosemite.
Well it WAS a long time ago, my memory is porous. I just remember fire falling down the cliff. Don't know when they stopped doing that.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a Morton Salt mine less than 20 miles from here and a salt museum. There is an alligator farm nearby also. There is a tiger sanctuary close by.

On First Monday, there is the Canton Trades Day, World's Largest Flea Market. It is about 20-30 miles away. It falls on the weekend of the first Monday in the month. Over 450 acres of stuff! they even have a section for animals.

https://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
And we have cold springs to sit in play, the river where we can head out and try not to get slapped with sturgeon while boating, riding in the back woods, and critters to play with, lol....and lots of redneck entertainment :lol: