NH Homesteader- turkeys!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah true Bruce. My husband is picky. I am too, but he's particularly picky about vets. He did grow up on a farm so I can't blame him!

Ooh farmerjan that sounds like a dangerous place to research, lol! If he can establish a market we will get more turkeys, but if not then we are limiting to 3-5 breeders because these guys are expensive!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had to move turkey fetching plans to today. Forecasted to be in the 40's so no complaints there. I'll try to get a picture!

The woman I got my mini alpines from has 8 nigies, 4 of which she would sell me a buckling from. The other 4 are lower producers and/or have quirky personalities and she wethers the majority of her kids so she's very picky about who gets to stay a buck. I have first choice of bucklings from those four does. Kidding starts in March and if I put a deposit on one and a buck I'm happier with is born later I can switch my deposit, since they will all be born before she starts wethering any.

So it looks like, as long as the woman I've reserved a pygmy from has one for me, I should be getting two bucklings. I've accepted that I'm pushing my breeding to next year, my husband has not. But it will give my minis time to mature and I'll breed in October or November. If I bred them now it would mess me up for next year anyway.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
0111171553a-1.jpg
Bad picture but our black spanish hen just figured out there are newbies in her coop and she is NOT happy. Actually it took her 3 minutes to get over it. I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Yes... We got a tom and a hen. Couldn't resist, the price was right!

The tom was scared of her!!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh absolutely. Have to find people that appreciate heritage breeds and we will be doing that. We have a commercial quality processing unit (scalder, plucker, etc) so we'll do something for sure!