NH Homesteader- turkeys!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Temps all this week in the 50's days, most nights mid-30's. Have had some rainy misty stuff last two days but I had taken the rain gauge in when we had the teens so don't know how much. There is some muddy conditions now though. We are set to get rain towards the end of the week and then sun and nice in 40-50's again for the weekend. Gonna move a group of cows 7/10 ths mile down the road to winter pasture next weekend. Got all the calves there tagged yesterday, so I can match numbers to mommas and see which 4 still haven't calved. Lost one cow, she was getting old and we debated selling her this past year, should have. Now gotta figure out who her calf is, and get it in to feed.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope but haven't you read SBC's stories of her LGD's alerting her to goats stuck in such situations? Would have been nice to have something alerting me to an issue!

The castle was a HUGE hit! But no, we ended up waking her up at 8. She likes to sleep in. I am the luckiest mom ever! My husband's psychotic dog usually wakes me up though.

two things-

NOT all LGD's will alert. Callie was far above and beyond the rest. No dog like her. :hit
She was definitely the most in-tune dog. Yes, we have other dogs that have rescued goats from drowning and alerted us but lets just say it may not be the norm. I think some of it is the individual dog and some is the relationship to the goats and some is relationship to their humans.

LOL- We never did Santa. Some years we do Christmas some not. I struggle with the whole Christmas thing. But anyway, our kids would get up we would eat breakfast, shower, dress and then the "Christmas" would begin. We always did the 3 gifts. Figured if it was good enough for the Savior of the world it was good enough for the children.;)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My parents and in laws go a bit crazy with Christmas. I am now trying to get kiddo back into a normal routine. Ugh.

No I assumed not all LGD 's would do that but it would be nice! All the other goats were standing around like nothing was out of place... Not real observant (or they didn't care).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Haven't you ever stood there and laughed at a friend or family member that did something really idiotic (OK... stupid!) and got themselves hurt or in a predicament? I'd have to guess it was the latter rather than the former.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH and I are beginning to look into what would need to happen for us to move... We aren't happy here, between taxes and politics and running into people I've known since I was 5 every time I go to the grocery store. The heroin epidemic is getting bad here too. People you'd never expect. Feet of snow and mild seasonal depression don't mix well either! We'll see... Going to talk to our friends in TN and check out other areas. Might even stay in NH but get out of this immediate area. Don't know but starting to research. :idunno

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We usually take this wk to 'Discuss' the past yr, and to 'Look Ahead' to evaluate the coming yr....I think you 2 are young enough to 'Look' ahead and get into the Best location for ya to be 'Happy' and to work together to 'Live your Dream'....if it requires a Move, then be mindful so the location will give ya the room to 'Develope' that dream....opportunities don't come around often, so if ya see it 'Grab a Hold' of it...and don't 'Look Back'.....Enjoy the 'Ride'!! :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a couple things that are non-negotiable for us when considering places to live. We won't move anywhere colder than here, anywhere with wolves, or anywhere with laws making homeschooling a challenge. And we must have strong 2nd amendment rights wherever we go. That narrows it down lol

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, ya oughta give E Tenn area a serious 'Look' then...really some pretty land over there...your friends can help ya out with local info, but it is Nice....:) and it would be the other side of the Mountains from the folks in NC too!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Careful there cntryboy... there's quite a large NC contingent round these here parts... :hide Oh... unless of course you meant that as a "POSITIVE" thing... Look at TN but don't rule out KY as well... TN doesn't have income tax but has high sales taxes and property taxes (compared to KY). As an aside, several member of my ustabee immediate family live in TN. Local politics and "holier than thou" lifers can present some issues there... Still very nice out east in TN and they have good hunting. Hubby might even be able to get a job at one of the "local" ski areas...

Latest posts