1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Nigerian doe grunting like pig and....

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Goats' started by melody, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Feb 3, 2019
    melody

melody Chillin' with the herd

Hey everyone:
    My 8 year old Nigerian Doe has started a really odd behavior. She has grunted before, especially when tussling with her sister. Last week i went to the shed to fill up the alfalfa pellets I keep on the porch for their evening snack. I give them a few to keep them away while I'm in the bin. After I closed up she started prancing in front of me, grunting, wouldn't let me move. Her tongue is twitchy and out the side of her mouth, eyes wide. At first I thought she was choking so I gave her some food to help her swallow. That was the end of it until today when I went to do the same chore and got the same reaction. She does not act like this when I give her the pellets in the evening. She even kind of went after my sister and blocked her path tonight. Thanks for any information. PS this is the girl who broke her leg last year and she is completely healed!

2. Feb 3, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Sudden behavioral especially odd aggressive actions could be neurological.
    Any other signs?
    Is she vaccinated for rabies?

3. Feb 3, 2019
    melody

She may have been long ago but she is in a closed system. Haven't done vaccines in a while. She only does this at this particular time though. I have been giving her pellets for about a year....since she broke her leg so it's not a new thing. But clearly seems connected to me getting the pellets.

4. Feb 3, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

ah, stop giving the pellets them... never reward bad behavior ;)

5. Feb 3, 2019
    SonRise Acres

SonRise Acres Loving the herd life

I wondered the same thing. Though it was never your intent, she might see the pellets as a payoff because she did it once for whatever reason and got the pellets. Trying walking away without giving pellets and come back at a different time. Then only give them if she does not do the odd behavior. It might take a while but she’ll catch on.

6. Feb 3, 2019
    melody

I will...but she only does it when I go to fill up the stock I keep close to the house...as I am walking back to the house. She gets them every night and doesn't do this. It is very odd. Thanks ya'll.