Nigerian doe grunting like pig and....

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey everyone:
My 8 year old Nigerian Doe has started a really odd behavior. She has grunted before, especially when tussling with her sister. Last week i went to the shed to fill up the alfalfa pellets I keep on the porch for their evening snack. I give them a few to keep them away while I'm in the bin. After I closed up she started prancing in front of me, grunting, wouldn't let me move. Her tongue is twitchy and out the side of her mouth, eyes wide. At first I thought she was choking so I gave her some food to help her swallow. That was the end of it until today when I went to do the same chore and got the same reaction. She does not act like this when I give her the pellets in the evening. She even kind of went after my sister and blocked her path tonight. Thanks for any information. PS this is the girl who broke her leg last year and she is completely healed!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sudden behavioral especially odd aggressive actions could be neurological.
Any other signs?
Is she vaccinated for rabies?

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sudden behavioral especially odd aggressive actions could be neurological.
Any other signs?
Is she vaccinated for rabies?
She may have been long ago but she is in a closed system. Haven't done vaccines in a while. She only does this at this particular time though. I have been giving her pellets for about a year....since she broke her leg so it's not a new thing. But clearly seems connected to me getting the pellets.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ah, stop giving the pellets them... never reward bad behavior ;)

I wondered the same thing. Though it was never your intent, she might see the pellets as a payoff because she did it once for whatever reason and got the pellets. Trying walking away without giving pellets and come back at a different time. Then only give them if she does not do the odd behavior. It might take a while but she’ll catch on.

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will...but she only does it when I go to fill up the stock I keep close to the house...as I am walking back to the house. She gets them every night and doesn't do this. It is very odd. Thanks ya'll.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mine does this when she wants attention or food. Though disconcerting at first it’s totally normal and eventually hilarious.