Nigerian Dwarf Difficult Birth Large Kids

jkoontz65

Just born
Reaction score
The plan is to be serious. Not extensive breeding, just enough with two does to keep the family in milk year round. That is as long as the problems quit appearing...

The wife took the bucklings and mom to the vet today for a checkup and disbudding. Everything went very well and Mystie got a clean bill of health. The thing that is puzzling us and our vet is she is not sleeping with the kids as of yesterday. They found a warm place to sleep under a straw bale and she slept on the other side of the fenced area we keep them in, about 20 feet away. She's still nursing them but they are milking her dry. Could the "temporary abandonment" be a symptom of them "overfeeding"? The vet was astonished at their size (they're about the size of two week olds) and we are speculating that Mystie never got the chance to really set up milk production before they started drying her out. This evening she actually led them out of the barn to the yard and went back inside.

Any thoughts? We are attempting to bottle feed them to add to their feedings, but would really like to figure this out because three months of keeping the kids in the house when the weather turns bad is going to get old fast.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would think nature would take its course and she will produce enough milk for them in time. Drinking her dry is good, because it will tell her body that more is needed and it should respond pretty quickly, like within days. Supplement for now, but just enough to satisfy them and only after they have nursed from momma. I doubt they are going to starve while her milk production is playing catch up for the first few days. Her body will respond like it has to feed more kids, like she had quads, and should produce what is needed for them. But of course if you don't think they are getting enough by all means supplement after nursings. Since they are so big it may be they will start on feed a little earlier. Our week-old buckling has been eating from the feed bowl since he was a couple of days old on his own, along with nursing throughout the day, and he's doing great. If they are hungry they will eat.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
madcow said:
I would think nature would take its course and she will produce enough milk for them in time. Drinking her dry is good, because it will tell her body that more is needed and it should respond pretty quickly, like within days. Supplement for now, but just enough to satisfy them and only after they have nursed from momma. I doubt they are going to starve while her milk production is playing catch up for the first few days. Her body will respond like it has to feed more kids, like she had quads, and should produce what is needed for them. But of course if you don't think they are getting enough by all means supplement after nursings. Since they are so big it may be they will start on feed a little earlier. Our week-old buckling has been eating from the feed bowl since he was a couple of days old on his own, along with nursing throughout the day, and he's doing great. If they are hungry they will eat.
I agree with this 100%.

Also, as far as them sleeping seperately, as long as the twins are snuggling with each other I wouldn't worry about that either. I've very often seen mom laying in one spot and twins curled up together.

Relax, don't stress too much.

jkoontz65

Just born
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that mom and kids are doing great! This was our first birth and not knowing what to expect really caused us some sleepless nights. OneFineArcre's advice was the best "Relax, don't stress too much" :)

We named them Daniel's Stout and Rocky Risque and today weighed in at 7lbs 12oz and 7lbs 5oz. I didn't know they grew so fast! They've almost doubled in size!

Thanks for all the help and advice and we'll keep you posted (pun intended) :p

Latest posts