Nigerian dwarf doe accidentally bred by Nubian buck.

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey all! I have a Nigerian dwarf doe that I got from my neighbor right before we moved away. They purchased a variety of goats from the auction all at once, including 2 full size bucks, all were pastured together. Momma had a little doe nursing, and I watched daily as a determined buck chased her nearly all day. I felt so bad for the little girls. They figured out how to sneak through the fence to my yard and that's when we fell in love with them. Thankfully around 10-15-16 they sold the girls to me.

Sometime around there the breeding must have took. I was worried about the larger breed of buck so I took her to the vet 10-25-16 to get pregnancy test (blood). It was negative. I was glad because I didn't want to have her abort.
Around 1-30-17 we noticed her belly was bigger, she weened her daughter too. I felt kicking also. Each day she grows and kicking continues, her backside is turning pinker and puffier. Her utter is also coming back. She is most definitely prego and it's too late to abort right? She's 45 lbs and the buck was 65 ish lbs (guessing).
Any chance she will be able to do this birth? I wish I knew her exact breeding, so I could be ready but I don't it's Sometime in October. I called The vet and he said if the blood test was done before 30 days of gestation it can be a false negative. This picture is from a week ago. Thank you for advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 1,615

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would verify and do another pregnancy test possibly an ultrasound. It would be better to know if she really is pregnant and with how many.
Although the buck may have only been 65 lbs if he is a full size Nubian he will still produce as such. A young buck still carries the genes regardless of weight and age at breeding.
It would be better if she was bred for trips or twins as they will be smaller. A single will be very large. Regardless you will want to read up on signs (if confirmed pregnant) on impending labor, such as ligaments, udder development etc. You will also want a vet on call. IOW notify your vet you have a high risk doe. If you run into problems your vet can be on standby.

You will also want to prepare a kidding kit.

Make sure her feed is adequate for lactation.

Welcome to BYH! :frow

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looking at that picture she sure looks to be carrying! Sorry that she got bred by a standard sized goat. At least she's not a first freshener (FF), so she's kidded before. Hoping for the best for her, you and the potential kids.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Hoping for the best for you both. Most would have done a lute early on to abort a pregnancy as such. Since you did not own her at the time you did not have this option and she was put in a high risk pregnancy. I second the vet idea. We had a similar issue with our dog and the vets were able to x-ray her and tell us about how many pups were in there to know if we were in a high risk or just risky pregnancy. This could also helped to ensure the babies were all out vs thinking she's done when In reality she's just tired out and there's still some in there. Good luck and I really hope all goes well! As was said before, she's not a first time mom this go round so that is in her favor.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with getting an ultrasound, always good to know how many there are. Two years ago I had a 7 month old ewe lamb get bred by a 200lb ram. I was beyond terrified for her to have her baby. But she was a champ and I walked in to a healthy baby boy.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
As others have said, it's helpful that she's not a first-time mom.

If goats are the same as sheep, you want to make sure you don't overfeed her, especially in the last month or two of pregnancy. Overfeeding can cause lambs to be too large, so it might be the same for kids? And an overweight pregnant mom isn't good, either.

@Southern by choice @OneFineAcre @babsbag @Goat Whisperer and other goat folks help - are goats similar to sheep in this regard? How should she body condition score her goat?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was my post earlier, for some reason it didn't post. @norseofcourse you are absolutely correct, you don't want to over feed this doe!

I agree with what the others have said.
Ultrasound would be a good idea.

If it looks like a single, chances of her needing a C section is pretty good, but you don't really know. Don't heavy grain the doe, you don't need her pouring it all into the kid/s.

With the lute, at this time it's already too late, but when you know when the appropriate time to give it, it doesn't cause the doe to "abort". When given at the right time, it keeps the doe from conceiving- so there is never a "death" of a kid. I've talked to my vet about this very in depth, very interesting actually.

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very helpful info, thank you all! my old neighbor was kind enough to send me pics of his bucks, maybe we can figure out the breed by the pics, anyone recognize these? Feeding orchard grass hay and ration of a non grain pellet recommended by my farm store, it's alfalfa. Today a farmer did an ultrasound for me, saw 1 heartbeat, and some bones. It looks like a couple more weeks to go. I'll get prepared. If she starts labor, will I know when we are having trouble by her behavior? Pushing with no results seems obvious, anything else?
Calling around to get c section info on Monday, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 292

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that the white one at least is part Boer and the other one may be as well. It looks like they are both standard sized goats.

Based on the dates you posted I would say that she was bred between 10/3 and 10/14 which would make her 150 days on March 2 at the earliest. I sure hope that she has more than one hiding in there. She has a pretty wide load.

As far as troubles, it would be pushing with no baby showing. Have you gone through this before?

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Boer, ug. All of my reading up, I hear this is bad for a 45lb momma. She and her baby are my first goats. I've been around other births but not large daddy small momma situations. It's a shame this happened. The ultra sound showed at least one, but couldn't tell if there was two, it was done by a friend of a friend who had an old machine.

Latest posts