Nigerian dwarf doe accidentally bred by Nubian buck.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They aren't purebred Boer due to the color but they could be Nubian as well, or a mix. Hard to tell without seeing the body structure and the ears and head are very similar between the two breeds. The white one really looks "boerish" to me. Nubians arefiner boned and usually longer legged than a Boer.

A 45 lb doe is really small and yes, I would be a little worried. The more kids she has the better. It is a shame that there were left together. But somewhere I read that other day about a Nigi bred to a standard and it did fine. Hopefully they will get the mom's small gene. You have probably at least another 3 weeks; the waiting may kill you. :)

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have been watching my momma goat closely and checking ligaments daily. The ligaments are slowly softening and changing but I can still find them. I can feel major movement, it's really exciting. I think she's getting close maybe a week away. I put a video baby monitor in her nighttime stall and have a plan to take her to the local university vet if she has trouble. Here is a picture of Ma looking pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 145

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know if goats are way different than sheep, but in the sheep world, most times a small breed ewe bred to a large breed ram lambs out just fine. Unless you are way over feeding, the lamb(s) won't grow too large.

I had an 80lb ewe get bred to a 200lb ram accidentally (ram jumped several fences) and she lambed just fine.

Most times, those "bigger" genetics don't kick in until after birth.

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you purplequeen, that's the kind of encouragement I'm looking for! Praying for the best and prepping for anything that can happen. Still no signs of labor as of Sunday morning. Guessing at due dates is all consuming!

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This evening I was brushing the girls in the barn, they sure are losing their fluff! I saw a few things I haven't seen before.

1. Ma was being impatient and rude to her little daughter; they share a stall at night, well they share everything. Ma was trying to hump her and head butting her (daughter's heat was the 18th, so it must be over by now). I tried brushing them with both hands at the same time but I'm super uncoordinated. Anyway, if I didn't get both of them, Cinnamon the princess baby gets right up in my face, and Ma just waits and makes a few noises. Maybe she had enough waiting. She had a feisty look in her eyes, do goats get jealous? Or is she wanting her space to have her new kids? The girls have never been apart, should I have separated them? Now if I do separate it could stress them...
2. Ma was stretching and hunching her back and her vaginal area was contracting. After a minute she walks away and starts eating. But I think this might be a little sign she is moving things along.

The last day she was with a buck was October 18th, but she lived in the pen with them starting in August. If she was bred the last day at buck-fest farm, her latest due date would be March 12th. Either way, I'll be watching my little monitor more signs.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is exciting and scary, at the same time! I'm praying that purplequeen is right and size genetics kicks in after birth!

I am new to raising goats, and have 2 does due to kid between now and April 11th. Since we aren't planning to breed, I'm planning to wether any bucklings we get. After this experience, you may be planning to do the same thing.

My first is due around March 23rd. So, I will be watching this with interest. :caf

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree, we are excited! We really do need a playful friend for the young goat, she's much more spunky than Ma and tends to pester her. Scary that we could lose Ma if things go wrong. We definitely will wether if we get a buckling.

Last night I checked ligaments, what I noticed is that they are sinking down. At first when I heard of this method for predicting birth, I envisioned the ligaments turning to mush, but I feel like they are relaxing and moving aside and downward instead. Such an interesting process to be a part of. Her belly movement is less, but I can feel knobby knees or something which move a little then I touch her. 12 days or less to go!!!