Nigerian Dwarf Doeling producing milk - pregnant?

Humblebeginningshomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello! New here. One week ago we purchased a Nigerian dwarf doeling that was born in May, (making her almost six months old) and a Nigerian dwarf buck that is 1 year old. Previous owners did not have them separated, for whatever reason but they are separated now.

Last evening I was examine our doelings as I usually do and noted that our little Nigerian dwarf doeling has milk. She is not bagged up, so the udder does not feel full but I was able to squirt milk from her teats.

I imagine that since she has been with this buck all her life that she is definitely pregnant, I think she is probably about 35lbs right now. Given that I am able to essentially milk her, is there any way to predict how pregnant she is? Our other doe is expecting her first in late February and cannot be milked. Any insight? Could it be too late for lute and in the opinion of the more experienced, is lute necessary?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she is pregnant. Every goat is different so who knows how far along she is.
Start talking to your vets now. Maybe have an ultrasound done, and talk about the possibility of doing a C-section.
Talk to your vet about the lute.

Very sorry you are dealing with this :( No breeder should ever let a buck run with their Nigerian dwarf doelings. Just irresponsible and people like you (as well as the goat) have to pay the price. :(

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plese take goat wisperers advice, same just happened to me last month, we found a vet too late and lost ND doe and kid.....the sister was also bred, and she delivered three weeks later...their picture is on my avatar. Best of luck to you, please let us know how it works out.:( BTW welcome to BYH...great people here, lot's knowledgeable people.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Plese take goat wisperers advice, same just happened to me last month, we found a vet too late and lost ND doe and kid.....the sister was also bred, and she delivered three weeks later...their picture is on my avatar. Best of luck to you, please let us know how it works out.:( BTW welcome to BYH...great people here, lot's knowledgeable people.
How old was your Doeling?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
The does were born feb. 7th, i got them in august, samanth died at eight months old and kid still had two more weeks of growing to be able to live. The other sister made it full term three weeks later and gave birth to one. .....yours is three months younger than mine were....a vet that deals with goats may be able to help you, . Calll the people you got them from and ask if they have a vet.....i really am concerned for your goat....the experience with mine was three days of agony, if i had known what the outcome would of been i would of put her down myself.....these little goats can get pregnant at three, sometimes two months of age. And if that happens, the growing kid takes all the nutrition from the doe, ....doe fails....she dies,.... we cry...please let me know how its going , wishing you luck, barb

Last edited:

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
2EDC85BF-6295-4C19-B4D7-630A18FB616E.jpeg
040E89C0-A016-409A-BA26-C84EA3A60AF1.jpeg
I added some photos of her for anyone with more opinions

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you been able to talk with a vet yet ? I really hate to see you go thru what we did, and at six month....ugh that is worse than our situation.....

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome I hate that you are dealing with this. Unfortunately, it’s very common! Our experience was someone breeding a female that was old enough but too small. It ended in an emergency cesarean and spay. The kid didn’t survive and the doe had to be a pet. (We were getting into dairy goats.) The advice mentioned above is correct. Contact a vet first and foremost.

Also, something to keep in mind...don’t try to express milk. Doing so removes the plug that the body has in place as a protective barrier. Without this plug, the teat now has an open pathway for bacteria to enter the udder and increase the risk of mastitis.

She’s a pretty girl! Most of our 20 are some combination of black and/or white.