Nigerian dwarf goat limping

amacy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
We have a 4 yr old Nigerian dwarf doe who just started limping over night a while back. We have checked for something in her hoof, basic injury, etc and had a vet come and look at her. The vet didn't see anything obvious and so we had an x-ray done. This vet also didn't see anything from the x-ray. They are out of ideas and I am not sure where to go from here. The doe has a really hard time getting around, is losing weight and is not eating much which tells me she is probably in pain. Is there anything else that you goat experts would recommend? I feel bad for the doe. She looks miserable.

Thank you for any help!

Adam

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where is the limp?
Front leg? Back leg?
Foot? Shoulder? Hip? Knee?
Holding up leg or holding foot up? Shoulder high?

amacy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Oh good grief!

A goat not eating much is always scary.

Have you set her up so she has to move close to zero to access high quality feed and water?

Yes, she has access to plenty of clean water and food.

amacy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
You can give banamine for pain and it is an anti-inflammatory.
The vet should have prescribed it.

We put her on pain meds for a couple of weeks and it helped her. We were hoping the pain meds would give time for the inflammation (if that is what it was) to settle down but as soon as the pain meds were gone she went back to hurting.

Last edited:

amacy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Where is the limp?
Front leg? Back leg?
Foot? Shoulder? Hip? Knee?
Holding up leg or holding foot up? Shoulder high?

Back right leg around the knee area. She holds the foot up or puts very little weight on it. She hobbles around and puts as minimal weight on it as possible.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you know anyone that does soft tissue therapy? Massages for horses...that kind of thing? Of maybe a friend that does physical therapy massage on humans?

It must be a soft tissue issue... slipped tendon, or something funky.

And feeling her super carefully, you can find no slightly warmer spot?

amacy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Do you know anyone that does soft tissue therapy? Massages for horses...that kind of thing? Of maybe a friend that does physical therapy massage on humans?

It must be a soft tissue issue... slipped tendon, or something funky.

And feeling her super carefully, you can find no slightly warmer spot?

I will do some research on that and see if I can find anyone in the area. Thank you for the suggestion.