Nigerian Dwarf growth question.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My babies are a few days older than 5 weeks. Just weighed them this morning and my boy is 5 lbs and my girl is 6 lbs. The only growth chart I can find is for pygmys and according to that they're under weight by about 4 lbs. Should I be worried?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I would be worried but that seems a little small. Can you take a fecal to a vet and see if they have any worms or cocci? Also, like @Goat Whisperer said, maybe start putting out a little feed for them and see if that helps.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No idea what they weighed when they were born. I got these babies for free from a family who I think didn't know what all they were getting into with farm animals lol. I'm currently in search of a vet right now. How much does a vet usually charge for a fecal and how often do I need to have a fecal performed?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They sound very small.

Cost of a fecal really depends on the vet or lab you use. You can send a fecal to http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php I believe it is a $10 fee. Get individual samples, don't do a group sample.

I would get them on grain and a good quality hay. My growing kids like orchard/alfalfa hay. Are you sure the weight is accurate? They look bigger in the pic.

Here are some examples of our 2016 Nigerian Dwarf doeling. They are all PB and registered.

4 weeks- Lucy's kids:
Belle- 9.8
Rain- 9.4
---------
5 weeks:
Clover- 10lbs
CarolinaGirl- 12lbs
Boots- 8.4lbs
Foxy- 9lbs
-----------
Just over 6 weeks:
Clover- 12.2lbs
CarolinaGirl- 14lbs
Boots- 9.4lbs
Foxy- 10.4lbs
------------
12 weeks:
Clover- 22lbs
CarolinaGirl- 26lbs

Boots & Foxy were from a litter of 5 (yes! 5 kids!) They were extremely small, less than 2lbs at birth.

Clover & CarolinaGirl are twins.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've only had them about a week now. They're being bottle fed I feed them goats milk anywhere from 6-8 oz 2x a day had to drop them down from 3 to 2 times a day because of my work schedule and they get hay and water 24/7. I'm not sure exactly what kind of hay it is I bought it from someone local that he cuts and feeds his horses with but it smells great! And it's still green in places after drying. Looks like a mix. I figured I'd introduce a small amount of grain this weekend when I'm off so I can watch them closer.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm also planning on slowly transferring them over on a cows milk/evaporated milk/buttermilk Mix since goats milk is $18/gallon right now!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tagging @Goat Whisperer she is my farm partner and she is the master at bottle babies and no one I trust more with the bottle management on our farm.

She does things differently for 1 1/2 lb babies than 3-4 lb kid Nigerians. We have had quints so tiny they fit in a feed scoop. LOL

Be careful when switching over. Did the dam have her CD & T a month prior to kidding? Have these kids had a CD &T.

We have seen on several farms this year issues with switching over... all the goats were unvaccinated.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with SBC, you need to be very careful when switching milk. This can cause some serious issues, especially when you are adding new things to the diet (like grain).
I wouldn't do much until they have at least 1 CDT vaccine. If you start switching the milk, do it very slowly. It might also be a good idea to add some probiotics to the bottles too. I like the Goats Prefer (powder- NOT paste) brand from TSC.

Definitely get a fecal on them. They might seem happy, but the move to your farm is still a stress on the kids. Stress can and will cause a parasite/cocci bloom. They are at the prime age for cocci as well.

These kids aren't getting enough milk and aren't being fed often enough for their weight. Do you have any possible way to add an extra feeding or 2? I know you said your work schedule is affecting when you can or can't feed.

If these were my kids, I'd start upping the amount of milk- slowly of course. I'd be feeding at least 3x a day until you start seeing a consistent weight gain.

My Nigerian kids eat/drink about a quart of milk at their peak. Goats that are just naturally smaller get a little less.

How do these kids feel? Can you easily feel their ribs, spine, or hips?

Again, you are going to have to go very slow in doing all these adjustments. Things like enterotoxemia can be a real risk.

Are they getting minerals?