Nigerian Dwarf milking issues

matty_60618

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to milk my Nigerian Dwarf and seem to be having some issues with the left teat. She just kidded 2 weeks ago and yesterday was my first try. I was able to get 2 cups from the right side but nothing from the left. Today I got 2 cups from the right again and just a couple squirts from the left. Her left teat is very small. I can barely get two fingers on it. It does seem that the kid will only drink from the left. Any suggestions?
Also, what can I put on the udder/teats after milking to decrease infection but is safe for the kid to still drink?
Thanks everyone here is so helpful being a noob and all.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like kid is emptying only left side. That happens. If the left is not hot, or lumpy, the milk you get is not clotted or off colored, I would suspect this is the case. You can put the kid on other side. You can pen next to one another but separated for a few hours and check fill after no nursing allowed, to check fill on left. A single sometimes has a "favorite" which may have to do with many things...size of orifice, softness, ease of reach, smell on teat, habit, or....... :idunno but do check it's filling!!!

A light iodine water can be used on teats.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second all that mini said...

Also, especially if you can't talk the kid into nursing on the right side, or not much on the right side... milking twice a day is important.

If the unused side isn't stimulated a bunch, it will not produce as much as it could... and might even dry up.

Latest posts