Nigerian dwarf wether peeing blood!

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Help!!! One of my (under 1 year) Nigerian dwarf wethers is urinating blood! We have two so I’m not sure which one!

They are both eating and drinking.

What do I do??? I don’t have vet access right now!

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You need to find a vet.

Are you sure it is blood?
Could be Urinary Calculi or bladder infection. Both require immediate medical care.
There’s nothing that can be done by us in the interim? What’s going to happen if we aren’t able to find a vet?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well if he has stones and there is a blockage his bladder could rupture and he will die.
If a bladder infection and not treated who knows.
Are you sure it is blood? What color? Has he gotten into onions. How is he acting? You said you weren't sure which one...
Did you take temperature of both goats?
Any hunching, crying, distress? Slow walking?

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry! It’s been a crazy weekend — as of right now I have removed all grain and baking soda. There is minerals always available with clean water in the shade. I have second cut grass hay always available to them as well as the 2 acres of forage they have access to.

There has not been any more blood... I have seen ONLY urine that does not contain blood but I haven’t witnessed either of them urninating so I can’t say with confidence that whoever wasn’t feeling good is urinating. They are both acting good, eating, drinking, vitals are good.... I’m honestly not seeing or hearing ANYTHING out of their ordinary!

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, I meant to add that I ordered ammonium Chloride off of amazon prime and it will be in tomorrow... I plan on administering that as soon as I have it.

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was aware that it’s a low dose and tastes awful. I had heard you can try it with juice?

Yes, loose mineral mix.

Silent H Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You need to find a vet.

Are you sure it is blood?
Could be Urinary Calculi or bladder infection. Both require immediate medical care.
I was aware that it’s a low dose and tastes awful. I had heard you can try it with juice?

Yes, loose mineral mix.
Recently went through this with one of our babies. It was Urinary Calculi and it is very serious and needs immediate Vet attention.
I hope he’s better.