Nigerian Dwarf Wethers and Alfalfa??

Shario1

Just born
Reaction score
Hello - I have 3 male nigerian dwarf wethers and one female dwarf. We currently feed them Purina Goat Feed 2xday and also alfalfa and timothy pellets. I just got some chopped alfalfa - is this safe to feed the wethers if we only do it once a day or is that too much? I can continue the timothy pellets and do the chopped alfalfa instead of the pellets, they seem to prefer the chopped but had one of our males already pass a UC stone and he was in HORRIBLE pain - don't want to go through that again! Any advice? We do have minerals and I give them baking soda not sure how often to do the minerals do I just put it in their food?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The alfalfa is just way too high in nutrition for wethers and a dry fully grown doe.

Ruminants are designed to take low grade feed turn it into nutrition.

They will do better on maintenence pellets and regular grass hay.

So... the timothy is great.

I would feed zero alfalfa.

If you can get a bale of regular grass hay, they would probably like that better than the pellets, but we all work with what we have.

Shario1

Just born
Reaction score
The alfalfa is just way too high in nutrition for wethers and a dry fully grown doe.

Ruminants are designed to take low grade feed turn it into nutrition.

They will do better on maintenence pellets and regular grass hay.

So... the timothy is great.

I would feed zero alfalfa.

If you can get a bale of regular grass hay, they would probably like that better than the pellets, but we all work with what we have.
That is exactly what I wanted thank you so much! We love these little guys just want to make sure we keep them healthy.

Latest posts