Nigerian Dwarf - when will she kid? - two babies born today!

marshmellow

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to lean on some goat experts here. Here is the back story, I bought this goat in early Feb, she was already pregnant and actually had kidded about six weeks previous and it died. Her previous owners didn't seem to care much and ran her with the bucks right after.

It seems like she is getting close and I am so worried. I want to be there so things have a chance of turning out ok this time.

By looking at her can any of you tell how long we have left. Right now I am checking on her several times a night - can I stop doing this for another couple of weeks? I am reading into everything she does and have been convinced she was in labor a dozen times already :rolleyes:

thank you so much in advance

538_sprinkle1.jpg

538_sprink2.jpg
538_sprink3.jpg

538_sprink2.jpg

Edited to fix pic link

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It doesn't look like she's loosing her plug yet. She also needs to fill her bag a lot more. It could be a few more weeks. But then you never know :rolleyes: I'm a big help right? I'd say a few weeks at least.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I think you have 2-3 weeks. What you're looking for is an udder filling, big time, to the point where it's hard and warm (it will be noticeable, like it doubles overnight type of deal). Also, check her ligs once or twice a day - when they start to get softer is when you start to watch more closely.

Really...she might not be due until July...but I really think mid to late June.

marshmellow

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You now have the perfect opportunity to feel her tendons. Feel either side of the tail. You will feel tendons. When those go away and the right side lump reduces and moves towards the belly you will know you are with-in a few hours. At about 145 days I feel every prgnant doe in the paddock, everyday, twice a day. You can't miss.

Chris

marshmellow

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice so far. There is a change in her today, her udder is fuller and tight (hard and warm to the touch) and when I try to feel her ligs I am able to touch my fingers around her tail head with no resistance, I am not sure if I am doing that right though.

The big change was there was milky fluid coming from her butt area. It wasn't a huge amount and wasn't very thick but it was there.

Does the milky fluid mean anything - should I check on her a lot tonight?

thanks again!!

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,

Is she "pawing" at the ground acting like she's trying to make a nest? Do you have other does in with her? Sometimes when my girls are in early labor they go off and stand in a private place by themselves. Or, if they've already been put in a stall they pick a corner and do a lot of the "raking" at the ground - they lie down and get up...act restless. Some start "talking" to me. Sometimes the milky fluid that you describe proceeds a mucus string - a sure sign of the start of labor. Since you are not totally sure what her due date is...I don't think it would hurt to check on her tonight. The fact that her udder is changing is also a real good sign.

I hope you can be there when her baby/babies are born. It is awesome - they are really neat, efficient, endearing little creatures. Good luck...keep us posted!

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds like she's loosing her plug...when the goo is streaming then she's really close. I have one doe who loses her plug 3 weeks before she kids. Your getting closer :pop Keep watching her vulva for the streaming goo :rolleyes:

marshmellow

Just born
Reaction score
I just checked on her and she is the same. No sign of any more fluid and she seems normal enough.
She hasn't been pawing or acting any stranger than usual, I'll check her again later just in case!

Thanks for the help AGAIN, I'll keep you posted!:D

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It seems like it'll be forever...I know. But, before you know it...that new little creature(s) will be here. I have a feeling that things will turn out just fine for you and your little doe. Try and get some sleep! I'll be watching for your next post!