Nigerian kid back leg injury?

Francina Martinez

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new goat owner. I got a Nigerian Dwarf kid from my neighbor that has adjusted very well to his new home. The third day we had him I noticed he was running around, but holding up his back right leg. I picked him up and went to my neighbors house to ask him what was going on. He felt around and noticed there was a muscle cramped up in that leg. He thought maybe the goat may have gotten an injury or over extended it. He has been jumping off and on things like the back steps of the house and the pitch roof dog house we have for our pups (mainly indoor dogs, but they have a big house outside to lounge in that has a slick plastic roof). Could he have slipped and hurt himself? What can I do to help? He's starting to set it down and try putting a little weight when he walks now instead of holding it up all the time.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Sorry your goat seems to have injured himself. How long has he been experiencing this injury? You don't really say when it happened. Sounds like he may have twisted something or maybe strained/sprained something. If this happened within the past 48 hours or so, I'd watch him for a few days and see if there's any improvement. If it's already been much longer or no improvement over the next 3-5 days, then a vet visit might be called for. Goats, and especially the babies, seem to be very good at getting themselves hurt or in trouble... Hope he recovers with no issues. Meanwhile, since you're new to goats, browse around the forum and you'll find all kinds of useful information. Make yourself at home.

Francina Martinez

Herd lurker
Reaction score
It's been less than 48 hours and he still runs around the yard, just holding the leg up as he runs. When he walks he sets it down gingerly trying to put a little weight on it. I'm hoping he recovers and it was just a little over exuberance adjusting to his new surroundings. He is a joy to have around.