Nigerian "rolling" her head - update

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Just today I noticed one of my goats "rolling" her head in a circle. She is not doing it constantly but is doing it more frequently than I like to see. She is eating, normal temp, out in the field and running around with the other goat. Fecal is formed pellets but in a clump. I will take a sample to vet on monday but is there something I need to worry about?

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How are her eyes? When you tap the lower lid does she react quickly? Could be the start of something. When my goat got Listeriosis it started like this and then came on REALLY fast. So you will have to watch her closely.
Have you had storms in your area? My goat got it from eating toxic plants that were blown into the goat pen.
Also, Does she have horns? Could she be scratching her back?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Sometimes my dehorned goats will make the scratching movement with their heads, even though they've never had horns to scratch with. Give her a good scrub with your nails and see how she reacts. I hope it is just an itch!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Keep a close eye and be prepared for listeriosis or polio..

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Ok, I tapped the lower lid and she responded immediately. I did check her ears (duh) and they are a bit dirty. Now I'm wondering if she has ear mites. I will make a vet appointment on Monday but thought I would get moving on the Ivomec. What is the dosage for goats?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have Noromectin and it only gives me cow and swine doses. I know it is 1cc per 70lbs for alpacas but not sure for goats. Noromectin has the 1% sterile solution.

If this were my alpacas I would go ahead and do an Ivomec wash in the ears but since I'm new to goats, I think I will consult the vet first before doing anything more with the ears.

Do I want to inject or give orally? It seem like most people like to give Ivomec orally.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I give Ivomec Injectable by injection to my goats. Especially if I were treating for external bugs.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Vet Rx works great on ear mites. To treat ear mites with Ivermec, I think you have to apply it TO the inner ear...not sure. I've always used Vet Rx or an ear mite drop from the vet. Usually a goat with ear mites will have droopy ears, shake their heads a lot. If it turns into an ear infection, they'll walk with a head tilt.

Many of my disbudded goats do this off and on - I agree...itchy back. Also, many of my does do this in early labor.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Karen- One of my Nigerian does also rolls her head like you are describing (maybe it's genetic :p). She has done this since she was about 4-5 months old. One of Cindy's does rolls her head like that too. I've only given the injectable Ivomec (for cattle and swine) orally at 1cc per 25 lbs. I use it for deworming - I don't know about ear mites.