Nightshade in Hay?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good luck with your plan, you will need it !

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pull everything you can. Burn. Use a torch to burn all you can. Yes, I know it is green. Spray paint the large areas to see from tractor and not cut. Adding grass & fertilizer will not kill it out. Sorry. Keep leaves off to help kill roots. I have a Dragon propane torch, it uses a 2# bottle, looks like a cane. Explodes leaf cells with heat. Has NOT worked on those damned cockleburs!!!!!!!! Works some but every burr is a seed. However, those can be croweded out over time. Not 100% but, a lot better.

The horses & goats do not eat it first....but, winter they might when other things die off. Supposedly is is not really palatable. Hay, may not be as bitter & it MAY be eaten. Mark the heavy patches with some posts. Spring, pull & burn, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Otherwise -- chemicals are under discussion. You will lose your organic status.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. I've been slowing pulling the nightshade. The hay guy called today and can come out tomorrow. If he comes out, I'll just have to exclude the remaining patches of nightshade. There's really just one major patch right now.

The bigger question at this point is whether I should even bother making hay off the pasture. The grass is quite mature at this point (weather didn't cooperate with an earlier cutting). OTOH, the pasture IS organic, and bringing in organic hay could be difficult and pricey... Thoughts?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cut it. Mature hay is better than no high. You can always supplement with a little feed and minerals, but you need the bulk and fiber of the grass hay. Next year will be better. You'll get an earlier start on the niteshade and you'll be on top of things. I think you've done an awesome job this year!

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cut it. Mature hay is better than no high... I think you've done an awesome job this year!

Yes, that's a good point about mature hay vs no hay. I asked the hay guy to come in the morning! Also, what would you recommend for a supplement in the winter to go with the overly mature grass hay? I'm thinking maybe some alfalfa? I don't want to feed grain.

And thanks for the compliment. It really made me feel good! Saturday will be 3 months since we moved here, and I feel like I've been behind the curve the entire time, despite working hard pretty much every day. The middle of the summer is no time to move onto an existing farm! o_O We have gotten a lot done, although there's a lot more to do (I haven't even touched my fall garden yet!), and I feel like I'm neglecting the kids a lot of the time... So anyway, your comment was much appreciated. :)

@Mini Horses - I showed DH a Dragon torch. He was thrilled with the idea of using a "flame thrower" on our weed patch and told me right away to buy one! LOL He might get weed duty from now on. :D

Latest posts