Nigi Babies with runs

jhmoore

Just born
Reaction score
I just brought home my two new Nigi doelings tonight. The breeder I got them from has been great all along, giving me lots of useful advice, updated photos, etc. When I picked them up, she said she had given them their CD&T vaccine today, as well as de-wormed them. They also got into her chicken food the night before, and she said they had the runs all day. My question is, how worried should I be about them having the runs? It looks like regular colored poop, just runny (like pudding consistency). Otherwise, they are both playing normally- jumping around, butting heads, chasing the cat. They are eating their grass hay wonderfully, and drinking fine. She had them down to less than a bottle a day, and eating hay and goat chow. Any advice?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would probably give them Probios once a day for at least a week. Getting into the chicken feed wasn't good and is probably the reason for the runs. I would give them 5-10 grams at a time. I would hope it would clear up in a day or so. If not, then I would contact the breeder you bought them from and ask her for further advice.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old are they? Does the breeder do cocci prevention? If not, then I'd have their poo tested for that as well.

jhmoore

Just born
Reaction score
I am happy to say that they are back to normal poop this afternoon. I gave them Probios this morning, and went to work. When I got home this afternoon, they were both pooping pellets! I'm thinking it may have been the stress of eating chicken feed, then shots, then wormer, then a new home- all in 24 hours. They are 7 weeks. Looking good now. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Excellent. I would still do the probios for at least a few more days to be sure the bacteria in their gut stays normal. :thumbsup