Nippy Young Buck

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok...So i have this new young buck - Ironhide. He has been with his litter mate Optimus Prime, but I've had to separate them since Ironhide started humping Oppie. (I took them in as a favor to a friend who couldn't keep them any longer...her son obviously named them.) So Oppy has the softer fur and was easier to handle...however I've found Ironhide to be extremely friendly and fun to interact with. Only issue with him (besides the RAMPANT humping....) is that he will start to "nip" at me when I've been holding him for a while. Not hard...just little "love nips"...I obviously shriek and withdraw from him....but what else could I do (I put him away after the first nip) to train him to NOT nip me during our "love time"? Any ideas?

Oh...they're about 5 months old. They're a rex mix of some sort...(he's got the short, velvety coat with the curled whiskers; she's got the longer, softer fur and these HUGE rear paws like a snow rabbit or something.) He JUST started the humping behavior (no falling off before they were separated...so we're good there...) this past weekend...so I'm thinking he's just REALLY hormonal - hence the nipping.

Any tips? (I have other bunnies...but NONE of them do the nipping thing!) Optimus actually "grooms" me...which is nice...she's a sweetie too.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Mine started the "humping" at 4 months. Same scenario with my two males. Good that you separated them at this point because males practice plus they use this "humping" for dominance as well. Fights might occur.

Regarding the nipping, all my bunnies do this. Especially the two younger ones. They try this when they feel they are done with "social" time with me. Nothing hard but they do nip. The first time did freak me out a bit and I did put them back right away. But the next time, I just said "No". They seem to get the picture.

At the age of 5 months and on, I consider this their "teenage" years. They will push you away because they want to be left alone. I think many bunnies lose homes because of this. People get nervous once a small nip occurs. Hands up because I did. Just be persistent. Ironside (cute name) will get the idea that you are the boss.

Teenage years for bunnies are the time they Push the envelope. Don't let Ironside push. Once they get over their teenage years, like any animal they will settle into adulthood. And then the personality really comes out.

Good Luck with them. :)

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks! Ironhide is a real sweetie. I have a few bun buns but he's the ONLY one that does this...that's why I was wondering about it. He's pretty funny....NEVER tries "pushing us away" - he ALWAYS wants attention from us! We HAVE to acknowledge him...or he just follows us around from his cage until we finally give in! His sister...not as aggressive about getting attention.

I'm going to get him some toys he can occupy his time with as well...maybe that'll help. (He's MAD crazy about digging now too! - in his digging box.)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
CocoNUT said:
Thanks! Ironhide is a real sweetie. I have a few bun buns but he's the ONLY one that does this...that's why I was wondering about it. He's pretty funny....NEVER tries "pushing us away" - he ALWAYS wants attention from us! We HAVE to acknowledge him...or he just follows us around from his cage until we finally give in! His sister...not as aggressive about getting attention.

I'm going to get him some toys he can occupy his time with as well...maybe that'll help. (He's MAD crazy about digging now too! - in his digging box.)
Good to hear his hormone rushes are coming out in digging. Regarding the toys, I think he would much rather have you to play with, but giving him something other than digging to occupy his time is an excellent idea. Mine love toilet paper rolls. Got expensive toys for them, but would rather play tug a war with a paper roll and chew it as they tug. Or put hay in one and watch him dig it out. Dobby loves this. All bunnies love challenges. And with teenagers a challenge will keep them out of trouble.

Love to hear that Ironside enjoys your attention and company. That's a huge accomplishment with a wild animal. You have made a friend. Now nurture the friendship.

BTW, any pics? We love to see pics here at BYH. :)

mkeawsh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have had Obi Wan and Chewy for a month and within the past week, Obi Wan has started nipping me after I have been holding him for a while. Tonight when I was holding him, lifted his head and told him "no". It didn't seem to work but every time he would attempt it, I would hold him up and tell him "no". Chewy has been circling him and trying to mount him relentlessly for the past week. These are brothers. They are about 3 1/2 - 4 months old. Could Obi's nipping be because of Chewy's actions? I have an appointment for both on Monday to be fixed. Will this end Chewy's dominance and Obi's nipping?

Latest posts