No babies yet

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a female new Zealand/Californian who was born July 2017 & a male New Zealand/Flemish who was born may 2017. At first I had them in separate cages & would put the female with the male to breed but she just wouldn’t let him. Eventually I just left her in there, in hopes that one day soon it will happen, but nothing yet. Should I be worried???

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When you write "nothing yet," are you referring to them not breeding--that you have seen--or that it has been over 30 days since they were together and you are expecting her to be nesting?

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When you write "nothing yet," are you referring to them not breeding--that you have seen--or that it has been over 30 days since they were together and you are expecting her to be nesting?
She won’t let him mount her...I was hoping she would maybe after we walked away lol.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did you check her vent for its color? Light pink indicates she is not hormonally ready to be bred. Some does still will, of course, but some will not. If she is red to purplish, she is hormonally ready. I have a doe that has been always difficult to breed, but I have gotten really good and quick results by placing her in the cage next to the buck for three days and then breeding them. Some people switch their cages also.

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Did you check her vent for its color? Light pink indicates she is not hormonally ready to be bred. Some does still will, of course, but some will not. If she is red to purplish, she is hormonally ready. I have a doe that has been always difficult to breed, but I have gotten really good and quick results by placing her in the cage next to the buck for three days and then breeding them. Some people switch their cages also.
Thank you. I will try to check her today. I’ve heard that sometimes these larger breeds take a lot longer to be mature for breeding.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've always had luck when a storm system comes through. Go out to the barn after the storm and try it then. The cold front being pushed through usually gets the girls in an antsy way.

I've heard of using Apple Cider Vinegar in the water for 7 days before breeding to get them into the mood, but I've tried this and it has never worked for me.

You can also try a car ride to see if that will work. This works on my does that refuse to lift even after a storm.