non-chemical remedies for sub-clinical mastitis?

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I also had a doe with "off" milk and she had small clumps. I put her kids back on her during the day, and off at night and kept her milked out and used Molly's mastitis salve , massaged her bag with it after each milking and within days her milk was better and the clumps where gone. Im a believer ;)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many dairies are using ACV in their feed mixes as a preventative and the reviews are great...say they haven't had any mastitis since doing this. They order it in by the barrels.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ACV in the water will help alkalize an upset rumen. We see some dairies using vinegar in place of acid wash and H2O2 in place of the soap in pipelines also. Keeps them from dumpong phosphates into the ground water through the septic. Surprising to see how much vinegar is coming back into play around the farm.

ettasmama

Just born
Reaction score
Your house sounds much like mine. I am dealing with what I think is mastitis right now as well. Ordered supplies and remedies and just waiting now. My doe shows no sign other than that she just suddenly dried up almost completely. I thought it was due to heat but it has not rebounded yet. Glad you got the results you wanted.

vegaburm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Back when I had this problem I switched over from Molly's to fir meadow's mammar ease salve and that stuff is great. in a very short time her udder was emptying so much better and now her milk can't be distinguished from cow's milk, except it is maybe better!!!! I also did a short round of herbiotic, also from fir meadow, back then. I am keeping mammarease on hand all the time now.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Hot packs and three times a day massages, stripping the milk. AND I MEAN STRIPPING is the best treatment for subclinical mastitis. Make sure that she gets lots of water, and plenty of good healthy clean hay.

If you have acute mastitis, treat with penicillin G. Penicillin is as natural a remedy as you can get. It is made from a natrural mold. And then you still have to do massages and hot packs and stripping.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I worked with a vet that reccomended raw cabbage for a client that brought a pit bull in with mastitis and couldnt afford to treat the dog. I beleive it works by placing the leaves on topically and the cabbage draws out infection and heat. I read a little on it and it might decrease milk production or possibly dry her up, but I now I've seen it used in humans and dogs. I dont think any real testing has been done to prove its effectiveness or not. I also realize this is an old thread, just throwing that out there in case anyone thinks they might want to try it in the future.