Non-Climb 2"x4" Horse Wire Fence

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @nab and welcome to BYH! Glad you jumped in :) As Bay said, there's all kinds of good stuff, not just about fencing... Browse around :caf and join some discussions!

nab

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! As others have mentioned it's just my husband and I putting up our fence and it's the first time we did this. Now that our fence is up, when I read back over the previous post I can understand what you're talking about. Unfortunately, I didn't understand it before the fence went up. We rolled right around the corners and learned we needed braces. I wish we would have ended the fence at each corner and started new but we'll just have to se how it holds up.
Now we're at the point of electrifying it. We went solar. We immediately encountered a problem with the plastic stand off clips. We were told they'd work for both the inside and outside of the t-post but they don't. We bought othersthat have a screw on back and had to modify them by snipping off some of the center.
Does anyone have picture of stand offs on both the inside and outside of a t-post? We're using zereba brand.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! As others have mentioned it's just my husband and I putting up our fence and it's the first time we did this. Now that our fence is up, when I read back over the previous post I can understand what you're talking about. Unfortunately, I didn't understand it before the fence went up. We rolled right around the corners and learned we needed braces. I wish we would have ended the fence at each corner and started new but we'll just have to se how it holds up.
Now we're at the point of electrifying it. We went solar. We immediately encountered a problem with the plastic stand off clips. We were told they'd work for both the inside and outside of the t-post but they don't. We bought othersthat have a screw on back and had to modify them by snipping off some of the center.
Does anyone have picture of stand offs on both the inside and outside of a t-post? We're using zereba brand.

Pretty much everything from a TSC employee should be taken with a grain of salt just FYI...they dont really know a lot about all areas of the product line....or have not done whatever your trying to do. Running a 3 string electric fence for a 20yr old easy keeper horse with a old buddy is way different then running a 4-6' woven wire or no climb net fence. Suffice to say all fences should have corner braces unless they are temporary.

Even our little chicken run made with t posts has corner braces....of more t posts lol.

We all make our fencing mistakes....atm the chicken fence, we didnt stretch nearly enough and the chickens all run under the fence now and free range themselves lol. We put up temporary electric wire for the goats/sheep to expand their pastures until we got time to put up woven...yeah no they ran right thru it multiple times and were out in about 10 minutes. Even though we spaced the wire 6", 6" and 8" as suggested lol. The problem with the electric is the charger isnt long enough range so we need to get a more powerful one and the wire we got which is electric fence wire..is the slightly thinner kind and it sucks.

For the t-post clips they should fit onto any of the 3 sides of a t-post. i have seen several different types so not sure the kind you first tried to use. i found this ..not sure it helps though since thats a special type it seems..http://www.fencewireinsulator.com/ It does say jeffers and valley vet both carry it though. i know in the past i have just put my t-post a little crooked to the fence line so i could put off-sets on two flat sides and be fairly straight on the fence wire for both fences, definitely not ideal.

So really...not sure what your goal is lol. Other then of course a nice fence nothing gets in or out of but we all want that :D =D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They make t post standoffs for inside and they make them for outside, they are not interchangeable. I buy mine at TSC but there are definitely "inies and outies", you have to read the bag, they are called "reversed" insulators.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been working on the last stretch of fence. I can now say our place is totally enclosed and fenced!! This last stretch ran through thick trees, brush and briars. In some of the pictures you can see the thicket we cut through to make room for the fence.

We also have a gully that exits our property. In the wettest winter, it runs a small stream. There are seeps when there is LOTS of rain. We set two sets of H braces on each side of the gully. Edited to add; @Mike CHS I had mentioned (some time ago) that we were going to use concrete bags to cross a gully and you asked me to tag you when we did it, so here it is!

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

We ran the wire straight across the gully from brace to brace.

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

We ran the fence up the slope toward the back corner, there is a huge pine tree close to the line. I can't reach around it. My husband was insistent on keeping the tree, so we moved the fence over to make sure it has room for future growth. This was ok with the neighbors and they were pleased that we saved the tree.

IMG_1713.JPG

This was the corner.

IMG_1722.JPG

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was planning on using 40 pound bags of concrete mix for making a water gap in the gully. Our son showed up and changed it to 80 pound bags and he did the lifting! I sure was glad he showed up!

IMG_1770.JPG

He stacked them in 3 rows to make a good base and a spillway for the water to run out on. We left 2 holes in the third layer. We pounded in 3 T-posts to further stabilize the bags and to securely attach to the long span of wire across the gully.

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

We left a gap in the top layer.

IMG_1774.JPG

We stacked 50 pound bags on both sides of the fence in two low spots.

IMG_1775.JPG

Yesterday my husband and I cut a piece of wire and using hog rings, we closed the gap between the concrete bags and the fence wire. We ran a piece of twisted smooth wire at the bottom to hog ring the 2x4 wire to.

IMG_1792.JPG

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the corner after many days of cleaning.

IMG_1711.JPG

You can see the high wire fence of the ranch behind us. The work, sweat and sore muscles that went into this view!

IMG_1720.JPG

Because of the closeness of a tree to the fence line, we would not be able to get the tractor or mule through, so we cleared a short cut!

IMG_1718.JPG

While our son and I laid concrete bags, my husband and neighbor rolled wire. When we were done, our son went to help stretch wire. Every one was pretty much wiped out from heat and humidity so we called it a day.

IMG_1776.JPG

Yesterday my husband and I pounded T-posts and I clipped them. We got enough posts in to hold the fence and let the sheep in!

IMG_1788.JPG