Noodles

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Saw this picture today and got to wondering if pool noodles can be used on horned goats to make them safer to be around? Or would they just rub them off? I also recently saw a picture of goats with tennis balls on the end of their horns. Does that really work in keeping other animals and humans from getting poked?

Note: I don't have goats yet and I'm NOT planning on getting horned goats. Though lately, I've seen a lot of horned goats for sale on Craigslist.
IW-81720182221816.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw the video and commented on it. I will just copy and paste.

Actually this is a really good example of how NOT to raise bucklings. Set aside the pool noodles. The behavior is not good. It gives bucks a bad wrap when people who raise them don't know how to. grrr Young little bucks grow up to be big bucks and that is dangerous long term.

Teaching manners to all goats horned or not is the answer not noodles. Now it may help on a well behaved animal to prevent the inevitable accidents. Goats can suddenly jump back or tuenand not be aware you are there as well as to protect other goats in close quarters.

Here is the video- hopefully it posts

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw this pic too. Don’t remember the story behind it though.

If this is for human protection, they are already doing it wrong. Goats shouldn’t be aggressive towards humans.

If it is to protect other goats, it may pad the blow slightly.

But they are goats. They WILL get it off. Herd mates will try to eat it. We use pool noodles on our milkstsnds. Some of our yearling ND’s have little heads and pull it out of the stanchions. We put pool noodle on the bar and they just reach around and eat it :rolleyes:

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I saw the video and commented on it. I will just copy and paste.

Actually this is a really good example of how NOT to raise bucklings. Set aside the pool noodles. The behavior is not good. It gives bucks a bad wrap when people who raise them don't know how to. grrr Young little bucks grow up to be big bucks and that is dangerous long term.

Teaching manners to all goats horned or not is the answer not noodles. Now it may help on a well behaved animal to prevent the inevitable accidents. Goats can suddenly jump back or tuenand not be aware you are there as well as to protect other goats in close quarters.

Here is the video- hopefully it posts

Wow. I hadn't seen the video, just a picture. That little guy really wants a fight!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I saw this pic too. Don’t remember the story behind it though.

If this is for human protection, they are already doing it wrong. Goats shouldn’t be aggressive towards humans.

If it is to protect other goats, it may pad the blow slightly.

But they are goats. They WILL get it off. Herd mates will try to eat it. We use pool noodles on our milkstsnds. Some of our yearling ND’s have little heads and pull it out of the stanchions. We put pool noodle on the bar and they just reach around and eat it :rolleyes:

Not the kind of noodles one wants to eat...

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What about the tennis balls? I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping a goat from accidentally catching someone in the face.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, too many people "play" dumb games with their bucklings and then they grow up and it is a nightmare. We warn people all the time to NOT let your buckling jump on your back, face rub, blubber, lower head and push into you.... yeah .... those that don't head the warnings.... call 6 months later wondering "what can I do?"

My answer- Listen next time. :lol::lol::lol: