Norseofcourse Lambing 2016 - recap and more pics

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to believe this will be my fourth lambing season! Here's the lineup, with pictures I took last week.

First is Rose, now nearly 4 years old, and one of my original two ewes. This will be her 4th lambing. She's had a single, single, then twins. She's got a nice stocky build, and her lambs have a good growth rate. She's been the first one to lamb every year so far.

rose030916.jpg

Next is Gracie, the other of my original 2 ewes, also nearly 4 and her 4th lambing. She's had a single, twins, twins. She's not built quite as well as Rose, but raises nice lambs.

gracie030916.jpg

Next is Brosa (Icelandic for 'smile'). She is nearly 3 years old, and she was Gracie's first lamb. Her sire had horns, but her horns weren't apparent till she was nearly 2 weeks old, and by that time I was attached to her, so she's here for good. She is the friendliest of my ewes (although not to strangers), and loves attention and petting. She had a single her first year, but miscarried a single last year.

brosa030916.jpg

Last of the ewes is Lukka (Icelandic for 'lucky'). She is nearly 2 years old, and is Rose's second lamb. She's got a nice stocky build and had a good growth rate as a lamb. I was there for her first lambing last year, and she gave birth faster and easier than any of my ewes have so far (and I've been there for all but one lambing). This is her second lambing, last year she had a single.

lukka030916.jpg

And last but not least we have my ram Elding (Icelandic for 'lightning', for the lightning-shaped white marking on his nose). He is 3 years old, and this will be his third year of siring lambs here. Genetically he is recessive for everything - color (moorit), pattern (solid), and spotting, so I have lots of good color and pattern possibilities for the lambs.

elding030916.jpg

My first possible lambing date is April 2nd. I'm not making guesses on how many each will have, although twins are fairly likely. I am hoping for boys though! I want to keep my flock small, and at least with males there's no temptation to keep them for breeding. Most important, of course, are nice uncomplicated births and good healthy lambs. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Agree with Mike, Elding does have a rather smug look about him... Like he knows his genetics are scheduled for use over many years to come. :D

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Elding looks like he knows he is the boss. :)
Agree with Mike, Elding does have a rather smug look about him... Like he knows his genetics are scheduled for use over many years to come. :D
Yep, Elding knows he's special. As long as he doesn't get too stupid during breeding season!

Another Friday night udder check tonight! Everyone is getting really nice udders. Lukka's is much larger than it was last year (when she was a first freshener). I'm really looking forward to see how she does during milking this year. Brosa's udder is still the smallest, but not by much. Gracie's feels the most 'full' - which may mean she's closer to lambing than the others - or may not.

Lukka and Brosa are looking the widest, although their wool adds to the effect. This is Brosa:

brosa032416b.jpg

Gracie has reached the 'pet me, pet me' point in her pregnancy :) :

gracie032416.jpg

Gracie is not as friendly as Brosa, but she's not quite as standoffish as Rose or Lukka. Late in every pregnancy, she gets friendlier - at first, letting me approach and pet her, and eventually coming to me for attention and petting. So she gets petted and fussed over - till her lambs come :)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
So exciting! Can't wait to see what they give you! On a completely unrelated topic, Im trying to convince my dad for some icelandics. What are some pros/cons of the breed?