norseofcourse's journal - spring and show update

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, I'm taking the plunge! I love reading everyone's journals, so I thought I'd join in with my own. Here goes:

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Northeast Ohio - four fairly distinct seasons, zone 5 I think.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Just me.

3. How would you define your farm?
6 acres of poison ivy and wild multiflora rose :) It's basically old hayfield that was untended so long that it's woods and brush, with a few very old apple trees, too. I'm trying to turn it back into pastures, and save the apple and some of the other trees.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
If I had any resources I needed, I wouldn't have spare time! :lol:
I would spend more time with my horses, working on field/fence, and rescuing and training some more miniature horses.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I had a barn built a couple years ago. I learned a lot, unfortunately I also learned how badly a contractor can mess up a building, and how to go to small claims court.
I have built a hay feeder, and I want to eventually build some run-in shelters, and someday a chicken coop.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
No. I would like to at least learn how to solder, someday.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I guess I'm doing this because of my love of animals and the land. I don't really feel like a farmer. I moved here so I could keep my ponies on my own property, and have other animals if I wanted. I did grow up reading a lot, and loved stuff like the Little House on the Prairie books.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby. There would be too much paperwork if it was an occupation!

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I know a fair bit about horses and riding and driving, but there's still much more to learn, and always will be. Since I've been here, I've learned (and want to learn more about) country living, sheep, plant identification, fencing, pasture maintenance, parasites, and the list goes on...

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Probably never pigs.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Yes. I am trying to make the leap from 'pet' to 'livestock' with my sheep.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
On the couch curled up with a book.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
No

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I am learning to spin and to knit. I make hand-dipped beeswax candles and have taught a class on them several times. I also do some beadwork and jewelry but I haven't had time for that lately. When I get a catnip patch going again, I'll be able to make more of my potent catnip mice :)

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Just about anything - pigs have to be a certain distance from dwellings, and a license is required for exotics (zebras, etc..). I have 2 ponies, 1 mini horse, and five sheep right now. Oh, and a couple beehives should be back in the spring.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Yes, although I've had some bad years lately for some things like tomatoes. I have a good rhubarb patch going. The asparagus is not as good, and I get bugs I can't control yet (I don't use chemicals). I am looking forward to clearing out an area to get my berries going again - black raspberries, golden raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Yes, although not to the extent of replacing traditional medicine.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Next to a farm supply store and a hardware/lumberyard :)

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
No, but if I had a house set up for it I'd love to.

27. What would your ideal super hero be?
Someone who would swoop down and save farm animals from idiots who do bad things to them, and also save them from things like barn fires and frozen ponds.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Not quite this much.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
I love to cook, I am looking forward to milking my sheep this coming spring, and making things like cheese and fudge.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Best - seeing babies born - puppies many years ago, and my first lambs last spring.
Worst - a tie... running over a nest of baby bunnies with the lawnmower; and having to put down two old dogs within a week of each other, especially the second who had dementia :(

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Hunt, no. Forage - yes, but so far limited to finding wild blackberries.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
I try and learn all I can, I'm fairly good with most tools, and I'm pretty frugal and don't have a very fancy lifestyle.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
I don't see myself able to process my own meat. I've made raspberry jam twice. One batch was edible.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
No. I would like to, but setup costs are high for the possible return here (and there are some zoning restrictions).

35 What is on your to do list?
This page isn't long enough... the short list is finish the fence around the perimeter, subdivide it into some more areas, put in some more gates, get the outdoor frost-free water faucet fixed, get some more work done on the house, find more time to drive and ride, rescue a mini from Sugarcreek (auction), clear most/all of the brush, take down some trees, cut and split a bunch of downed wood for the fireplace, declutter the house...

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No and no.

37. In what do you trust?
Myself. And that there is a Higher Power.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
Gosh yes! And because it's fun and interesting to learn how.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
Living here has changed my attitude about groundhogs - they are no longer cute. I have not gotten to the point where I think I could shoot one yet, but I think I could let someone else shoot them.
I now look at overgrown yards and fields and think, 'all that free food!'.
'Chores' are now a comfortable habit and routine, although it's not bad because my animals are for the most part easy keepers. I do wish I could get into the habit of rising early, but I've never been a morning person.
I don't know if attempting to raise my own meat will change my attitude about farm animals or meat-eating. I am not a vegetarian and don't see myself becoming one, but I am struggling with the concept of eating something/someone I knew. Making that decision and driving it to the butcher. I have a little under a year to face that moment...

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol, welcome to the 'fine art' of journalling!! :) I am looking forward to reading you future journal entries!!!!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes!

We had some unusually cold weather a couple weeks ago (we hit -13F one night), then it warmed up and we had a muddy, messy 'January thaw' for about a week. Now we're heading back into the deep freeze, with some lows in the single digits coming up, and Tuesday night at -2F. I am SO ready for spring!!

The sheep are doing well. I modified their hay feeder to keep Elding (the ram) from standing in it and peeing and pooping all over the hay :rolleyes:. They still waste more than I'd like, though. I was checking out Premier1's newsletter, and saw their 'build your own' hay feeder. I really like their one-sided design, and it looks really easy to build, so I've decided to build one. It will make feeding grain/pellets much easier, too. I'll need to make it a little shorter than theirs so it fits my sheep. Has anyone built one and used the sheep/goat panels from TSC with the 4" by 4" openings? Those would be much less expensive than getting the wire panels from Premier1.

I still need to finish the milking stand too, and then figure out where I'm going to put it. I won't have lambs till at least April 1, but I'm hoping we have some nicer weather soon so I can finish it earlier than that, and start working with the girls to get them used to it.

I'm considering trying to sell Little Boy (the wether) as a fiber sheep. It's just hard to think of him going for meat, being my first lamb. And, he seemed to have the nicest fiber when I sorted through it all to send to the mill. But I want to keep my flock small, and it makes more sense to just feed the ram and ewes through the winter. Without Little Boy, I could even keep one ewe lamb from this spring, if I have one that's nice enough to be worth keeping.

The ponies are doing alright. I need to figure out a way to separate my older mare so I can feed her more (she needs it, the others don't). One drawback of not having a 'regular' barn with stalls, but I know they are happier with lots of outside time, and it's better for them. I'll do what I can now, and work towards reconfiguring the pastures and adding a couple of gates before next winter. If I didn't need a heated water tub during the winter, it would be easier! But I still love it here - if I lived somewhere else, I'd have to find something else to complain about besides the weather! :lol:

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We made our hay feeder with the goat panels from Tractor Supply. It works well. The bucks have beat the heck out of it so I need to reinforce it some. I have the plans here on BYH somewhere...... I will have to look.

We caught the far south end of your big chill.... It sucked.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am sooooo ready for spring too!!! :confused: We have too much snow this year and the temps have been lower than normal!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been using the Premier feeders for almost 13 years now. They've held up very well considering that they've been outside for almost that whole time.

What are the panels from TSC you want to use instead? We used the ones from Premier. There was no TSC around until recently.

The holes in the panel need to be small enough that nothing can it's head through and get stuck.

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are the panels from TSC you want to use instead? We used the ones from Premier. There was no TSC around until recently.

TSC calls them 'goat panels', their holes are 4 inches square. I've used them to make a catch pen for the sheep, and they worked well even when the lambs were young. They're very sturdy.

I love Premier1, I've gotten all my electric fencing from them (Intellirope), and a bunch of other stuff, but their panels are pretty pricey, especially with the extra shipping charges.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
A neighbor called me yesterday just before 10pm, to let me know he'd seen a tree or large branch on my fenceline out back, big enough that it had flattened the fence all the way to the ground (my fencing is round polyrope from Premier1, with multiple wires running through it - one reason I like it is that things like trees/branches coming down on it will generally stretch it, but not break it). He said to give him a call if I couldn't clear it myself, and I thanked him for that.

I wimped out because of the dark and cold, and decided to head out the next morning. My ponies are pretty fence-wary, and I figured at these temperatures (it was about -5 with the wind chill last night), they wouldn't be doing a lot of exploring, especially in the middle of the night.

So, at first light this morning I bundled up, fed everyone, then turned the fence off and headed out with my chainsaw to see what I had to deal with. I found the place he'd described, and thankfully the branch was much smaller than I'd feared, in fact I was surprised it had flattened all 4 strands of the fence to the ground. I could have probably just broken it by hand, but I cut it in half with the chainsaw and moved it off the fence. Then I continued along the fenceline to make sure everything else was clear - and on the back stretch, I discovered an even bigger tree had flattened the fence back there! Luckily it didn't have many branches, so I cut the trunk in a few sections and moved it off the fence too.

I came in the house to thaw out, then headed back out to re-tighten the fence. Normally, I do this by walking along the fenceline with my hand on a strand of wire/rope, keeping it tight the whole way till I reach the end, then re-doing the end connection to get it all nice and taut. Four times - once for each strand. Time-consuming, but not particularly difficult... but it was still below zero with the wind chill, that back pasture is my biggest one, and I would have to take my gloves off to do the end connectors. I wimped out again, and tightened the fence with a shortcut of using sticks to take up the slack in the wire, and hay ropes to hold them in place. Didn't look too bad actually :)

We're back in a deep freeze for awhile, someone said it might last till about February 5. I'm glad I have plenty of hay, everyone is getting extra on these really cold days and nights. I am glad I don't have lambs due till April.