Norseofcourse's lambing 2017 - new pics

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well? It's been 12 hours already! Status updates are kinda mandatory yaknow... like pics... yeah... pics are mandatory too! :old ;)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well? It's been 12 hours already! Status updates are kinda mandatory yaknow... like pics... yeah... pics are mandatory too! :old ;)
It's been one heckuva day...

Brosa didn't want breakfast, and by 9 am she had some reddish discharge and was starting to do a little pawing. I was sure she was starting, so I came in to finish morning chores, post to BYH, and grab a few things to take back out.

She wasn't in a big hurry, and about 11 am or so the first sack broke. She would pace, paw, come over to me, paw, get down and push, get back up, stretch, and repeat. Her contractions were coming closer together, and I was expecting to see a bubble with feet and nose in it any minute, but after over an hour with nothing appearing, I decided to glove up and see if I could feel anything.

I felt what seemed to be a head, and nothing else. Two front legs back, I thought I could handle that, but I called the vets office just to let them know, in case there was more of a problem.

I got the longer glove on and went in again. Found a foot, but no - it's not bending right. And what I'd thought was a head and/or jaw, wasn't - I was feeling the hock of a back leg. That wasn't a head at all - it was the other end! A true breech, with neither hind leg in the right position. I was able to push the lamb back in some, but not able to work either leg around.

I called the vet back, but he's out on farm calls and won't be able to get there anytime soon. They gave me the number of another livestock practice, and I called them. They also didn't have anyone who could come anytime soon, but they did have a vet I spoke with. He basically went over the same stuff I've read in the lambing books, and answered a few questions I had. He was very encouraging.

So, I told Brosa it was just her and me, and we could do this. I pushed the lamb back in as much as I could, and at the same time worked my way down a hind leg until I could get the hoof end and cup my hand around it and work it back. I had to try to keep pushing the lamb back in with part of my hand at the same time I brought the leg around. It took a couple tries but I finally managed it, those hind legs are a lot longer than you think they are. Then the same thing with the second leg, and that one was easier. Brosa pushed a little and both hind feet were sticking out.

Then Brosa went over and laid down, and I took ahold of both hind feet, ready to pull as soon as she started pushing. A backwards lamb gets their umbilical cord pinched as they come out, which makes them try to breathe (with their head still inside the ewe), so they need to come out quickly so they don't aspirate fluids. The vet said as soon as you see the tail, get him out quick! Brosa rested maybe a minute, then she started pushing and I pulled, and once his hind legs were all the way out and I saw his rear end, I was able to get him out pretty quickly. I had a towel ready and cleaned his mouth and nose right away, and I was so happy to see he was alive and breathing! I towelled him off a bit then moved him up so Brosa could start cleaning him off.

Within minutes, Brosa had a second lamb's head and one leg out. Rather than try and push it back to rearrange things, I helped ease him into the world, which didn't take long. I towelled him off a bit, too, then sat back and let Brosa take over, and watched her bond with her two new little ones.

It's hard to describe the emotions. I've seen births before, and it's neat but I've never felt the 'miracle of birth' type emotion you hear about. Well, this one was different. It was amazing to be a part of it. It was also really stressful. And a tremendous learning experience. I am very thankful we ended up with two live lambs and mom doing ok, too.

Here is the first one:

brosa2017lamb1.jpg

And number two:

brosa2017lamb2.jpg

The first is black and white, the second is moorit and white. I'm pretty sure both are boys. The second one already has little horns!

It took a little extra time before I could get back here and write this all up... I had to finish my taxes...:caf

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What a miracle you and Brosa performed! I have had to help deliver breech babies before (mostly calves) but there was almost always someone else there who had an extra hand available, if not more experience.
Kudos!! :bow:love:bow:love:bow

...and I would like to nominate Brosa for the "Eweducator of the Year Award!" She pulled one heckuva pop quiz on you and you passed with flying colors.... :clap

Uh... I think Newton the goat might be a close runner up, any other nominees? o_O

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good job getting them out. I had a doe deliver triplets this year, all breech. :th The first one had its legs in the right place and she delivered it alone, but the next two was like your lamb, the legs were tucked so I had to go fishing. It is a fantastic sense of fulfillment when it all works out in the end.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to say, that was well worth the wait! Congratulations and job well done to both you and Brosa! Glad you got those taxes done as well... we all love uncle, enough to send a little extra even, right? :sick I got mine E filed yesterday. Nice little lambs. thanks for posting! :D

Latest posts