1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Nevada Homesteader here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hardisty Homestead, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017
    animalmom

animalmom True BYH Addict

Well a big howdy and welcome from the Great Lone Star State, where the stars at night are big and bright! Sure sounds like a handful at your place. I'm sure it keeps you and your son busy. What goats do you have? We have Nigerian Dwarf goats, Californian rabbits, geese and chickens.

Good luck with your quest to help maintain the American Blue. I hope you find your does and buck.

I don't know much (like none) about Northern Nevada, spent too munch time in Los Vegas and Lake Tahoe/Reno/Carson City area. I hope your summers are cooler than Los Vegas. Bunnies don't do well in the heat, but I'm sure your plans include shade and fans. We get pretty hot where we are and have found that using a misting system plus fans really helps the bunns get through summer.

Please keep us posted as to your progress. Loved the pictures of your sheep, especially that little tri colored white one. It's a cutie.

Hardisty Homestead likes this.
  2. Mar 20, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Greetings and welcome to BYH from another Texan. Might want to add your general location to your profile. It needed info if you ask for advice or give any as climate dictates a lot. Make yourself at home and browse around. Thanks for sharing your pics!

3. Mar 24, 2017
    Hardisty Homestead

Hardisty Homestead Chillin' with the herd

FB_IMG_1490387765380.jpg FB_IMG_1490387661129.jpg FB_IMG_1490387678922.jpg
    FB_IMG_1490387453728.jpg FB_IMG_1490387100180.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Mar 24, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

looks like you have a good helper there!!

5. Mar 24, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 True BYH Addict

Really nice pics!!...I know it has to be nice to have such a great "Little Man" to help ya out there. I used to drive trucks for a living and have been to Beowawe to pickup a load. Also, have been thru Elko several times too. There are miles and miles of scenery, and very few buildings....saw the sign south of the mine that said next services 120miles or so, as I remember.....it was a pretty good ways for sure. Is it all open range out that way?

6. Mar 25, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Thanks for sharing! Sons are great (so are daughters!)!

7. Mar 25, 2017
    Hardisty Homestead

Hardisty Homestead Chillin' with the herd

Well I'm not exactly sure where the range lines are, but my ex wifes family has a hundred year lease with 24 other family names on 25k acres of BLM range out here.. some recent years they couldn't put anything out here because of the drought and lack of feed.. this year should be good though I'd imagine!