NorthRidge Farm. Getting into Goats!

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You must be having so much fun with the goats! I can't imagine having 20 goats. :ep:woot
I definitely can't wait to see Truffles piglets. :love. I hope you can get the barn and hay shed built before winter sets in.
I truly am~ It's funny to think just a few years ago I couldn't stand goats.. Absolutely hated them! Now I can't get enough of them 😄 I'm having so much fun with the goats, they've become my main focus on the farm, I've sold most of my breeding chickens and call ducks. Only keeping a few just to have in the pond and some layers so i can keep selling eggs in town. I'll also be raising a few meat chicken/turkeys for myself and friends but that's it. went from almost 200 birds to only 80. Definitely happier and less stressed with all those birds gone. I'm definitely excited to see where i'll go with the whole goat business~ I'd like to explore the idea of selling goat soap and such in the near future 😁

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Your barn and pasture will be be amazing. :woot
Your new Buckling is cute. I bet you paid a bit for that little Man. 👍🤑
I meant to ask you about the birds. I know for myself that I am way happier without my Ducks. The smell and the mess was too much to deal with. I also never thought I would have goats and be so in love with the little monsters either. They are definitely a great addition to my life. I only have 4 now although I'm still thinking about breeding Fancy in December so I can have a May birthing.

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes! Very excited to get things started 😁
If it were up to me I would have i'd have gotten rid of all the birds, but the family enjoy having the guineas, geese and call ducks running around the property :rolleyes:
I think you should go ahead and breed her! That's probably my favorite part about owning goats, kidding season is both nerve racking and thrilling! I've already gotten my breeding schedule decided. I'll have 3 groups i'll be breeding at different times so i'm not having 12 does kidding all at once :hide The first group will be in with the bucks the second week of August~! i'll have 5 does in that group. The second group which will just be three does and the third group which will have four does will be bred in September and November~

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Decided to let the does out of their pen and let them graze a bit today while I was outside~ All were having a blast running around and exploring the new leveled area that will soon be their new home 😊 They were quite suspicious of their forest being gone and the giant hole in the backyard, but once they found some brush to munch on they completely forgot about it 😄
IMG_9310.JPG
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9303.JPG
IMG_9216.JPG
IMG_9225.JPG
IMG_9244.JPG
IMG_9245.JPG
IMG_9274.JPG
IMG_9260.JPG
IMG_9258.JPG

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
As usual those are awesome pictures. What a nice healthy looking herd of goats you have. I look forward to seeing pictures of the barn process and the finished product. It's going to be awesome! :woot
I definitely think I will breed Fancy. I am going to be going to my Pals one day soon to look at all his animals and see what his Bucks are like. I hope he has one worthy to breed to my Fancy pants. :fl

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you!
Waiting on the blueprints so i can get it approved by the town and get things started :woot
I'd look for the healthiest looking buck to breed her with. How exciting it'll be to have Fancy babies jumping around the place! :love And speaking of babies, I found an ad on fb of someone selling their herd of nigerian dwarf goats since they are moving. Turns out one of their does they were selling was one of mine I had sold a few months ago. I contacted them to confirm it was the same person who bought the doe from me. I offered to buy her back from them and they offered to sell her along with a bred doe, how could I refuse?? So now I’m up to 14 does. My newest addition, Hazelnut the buckskin doe, is due to kid on October the 13th~ Fingers crossed for some blue eyes and polled babies 🤞
80EA63AA-EA4C-4833-9405-13CDF5436B64.jpeg
C6F1FD03-B47D-4F4C-88C8-33F2344DDF45.jpeg
7A266908-9CF2-4C74-B7DB-430887F81004.jpeg

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a Buck question. How do I pick a good Buck? Should I be looking at his testicals and confirmation as far as being correctly perportioned? Should he be smaller or at least close to Fancys size? I looked at Fancys teats and they are a nice size. I hope to go out and see these Bucks soon before they start breeding the Does again.

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd look for a buck that's closer to fancy's size but that's just me, You can definitely breed her to a smaller buck like a nigie, i just wouldn't go with a buck that looks stunted small.. I'm not too sure about looking at his testicles, I myself wouldn't know what to look for there. But yes, I'd make sure he's proportionate. I'd look for things like a strong topline, good length and body capacity, no leg problems. You want to breed her with a buck that looks nice and strong and wont fall apart as he ages. If you do go out to take a look at the bucks try taking pictures of them and maybe I can help you out? I'll have to pop over on your thread and take a look at Fancy again.. I only remember her from when you first got her~ How old will she be when you plan to breed her?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd look for a buck that's closer to fancy's size but that's just me, You can definitely breed her to a smaller buck like a nigie, i just wouldn't go with a buck that looks stunted small.. I'm not too sure about looking at his testicles, I myself wouldn't know what to look for there. But yes, I'd make sure he's proportionate. I'd look for things like a strong topline, good length and body capacity, no leg problems. You want to breed her with a buck that looks nice and strong and wont fall apart as he ages. If you do go out to take a look at the bucks try taking pictures of them and maybe I can help you out? I'll have to pop over on your thread and take a look at Fancy again.. I only remember her from when you first got her~ How old will she be when you plan to breed her?
Fancy will be one and a half years old when I breed her in December. Thanks for the information. I definitely will take pictures of the Bucks.