Not how I wanted my intro to go...

hilabeans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello BYH forum members!

My name is Hilary and I am brand new to you, and to livestock. What was building up to being one of the most exciting weeks of my life (finally realizing my decades-long dream of goat ownership) has ended in an unexpected tragedy that has broken my family's hearts.

I recently underwent a hysterectomy at 42 years old. It was a sad and scary few months leading up to it. My husband wanted to give me something wonderful to look forward to past my recovery and said we were finally in a place where we could add some goats to the family. Being a lover of all creatures, great and small, I've already managed to talk this patient man into a dog, 2 cats, 2 snakes, a bearded dragon, 4 tarantulas (oh, yes), and an emperor scorpion. And now - bring on the farm animals!

We brought home 3 pygmy/Nigerian goat cross triplets last weekend. They were 6 weeks old. We knew from the beginning that the runt of the litter had a bit of a rocky start. He was slower to thrive and just a bit "different" than the other 2. But were assured by the time we brought him home that he was all better and catching up to his bigger brother & sister. He was exceptionally sweet. Far more affectionate and people oriented than his siblings. We were instantly head over heals for our little Alfie.

After a day or 2 at home, we noticed rattled breathing and goopy eyes and so begins day after day of trying to get him right. Loooong story, several vet visits, many breeder calls later ... our little Alfie passed away at the vet's office from Enterotoxemia. We were unable to save him.

Our hearts are shattered. The guilt we feel thinking perhaps someone more experienced could've saved him is devastating us. The vet assured us that he just wasn't right, and this would've happened sooner or later, that it wasn't anything we did or didn't do. But I just can't seem to forgive myself for losing him.

Needless to say, we are completely rattled. Our other 2 are so much stronger and healthier; playing and being very typical goats. They tolerate our affections, but don't seem to need or enjoy them like Alfie did. It hurts to lose one, but especially one that seemed to really enjoy our company - it's just awful.

Intro threads are supposed to be ones of happiness and excitement and it kills me to be the one outlier. But I needed to ease my conscience to a group I thought may understand.

And as a reward for reading my novel, here are some pictures. 😊

Sweet Alfie:
DADC5DE7-85C9-48AC-91DB-DE118F457A6A.jpg
PaF1qIEjSNO1ArpzIy+Yhg.jpg

Huckleberry aka "Huck"...or turd-sickle:
2C49E8C1-817C-4737-9BDF-9E1D37D476A2.jpg
13A39E39-100B-41CF-9139-6AC6D017D06E.jpg

Hazelnut aka "Hazel":
WSKen64UROCVnKx8vYw0aQ.jpg
rOLRIymnTwC%rdlcOAdJvA.jpg
fullsizeoutput_139f.jpeg

Huck, Hazel & Alfie:
Yd5QByahTWCTLzUHZb8hiA.jpg
q%iYF1XNTUiNcP6aRyIrjg.jpg

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and so sorry you have already had such a sad and emotional start to owning livestock. :hugs
Don't beat yourself up over Alfies death. He may have been so very friendly because he was sick and uncomfortable.

Good to hear the other two are thriving! They sound like typical independent goats. They'll probably get happier and more content with attention as they get to know and trust you more.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Losses are a kick in the heart. A loss right out of the starting box is double hard, so sorry that you lost Alfie. The vet was right, don't beat yourself up over it.

Latest posts