Not liking alfalfa

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So my 4 months old does don’t like alfalfa hay that much, they only nibble on it when desperate, but they go crazy for the pellets. I can’t supply pellets 24/7 for them. I want them to have hay. Is there an alternative to alfalfa which they can have 24/7 free choice, that has the nutrients they need?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes they can....a goat doesn't need a really high protein diet, so they usually prefer a lesser hay.....but, if they are kidding or being milked they need more than ones that aren't....I haven't had any experience with dairy goats, just meat goats....OFA has dairy goats, so he wouldn't steer ya wrong....:)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your does are 4 months old, so yes. The peanut hay is a legume and is the most comparable to alfalfa.
Bermuda and Bahaia are both grasses, so less protein.
You could do a combination.
Or you might want to go with one of the grass hays and give alfalfa pellets a couple of times per day.
I don't know what kind of goats you have but their needs may change when they have kids and are in milk.

Do they have any browse or pasture grass that they are feeding on?

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes they can....a goat doesn't need a really high protein diet, so they usually prefer a lesser hay.....but, if they are kidding or being milked they need more than ones that aren't....I haven't had any experience with dairy goats, just meat goats....OFA has dairy goats, so he wouldn't steer ya wrong....:)

Thanks a lot!

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your does are 4 months old, so yes. The peanut hay is a legume and is the most comparable to alfalfa.
Bermuda and Bahaia are both grasses, so less protein.
You could do a combination.
Or you might want to go with one of the grass hays and give alfalfa pellets a couple of times per day.
I don't know what kind of goats you have but their needs may change when they have kids and are in milk.

Do they have any browse or pasture grass that they are feeding on?

Thanks you. I have Nubians. They browse grass and Brazilian pepper trees.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I will look it up.

Everyone feeds diffrently depending on where they are located, peanut hay is also great but pricy, that is why I use local grown hay. ...and the rest of what I mentioned....call Tractor Supply and ask what kind of hay they sell and how much it is....then find someone locally, it's probably cheaper at a farm.