Not liking alfalfa

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Everyone feeds diffrently depending on where they are located, peanut hay is also great but pricy, that is why I use local grown hay. ...and the rest of what I mentioned....call Tractor Supply and ask what kind of hay they sell and how much it is....then find someone locally, it's probably cheaper at a farm.

Would you know of a good hay supplier in the south? I’ve looked a lot yesterday for someone who has peanut hay, but couldn’t find any. As far as I know TSC only has alfalfa and Timothy, but I’ll see what else they could get..

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would you know of a good hay supplier in the south? I’ve looked a lot yesterday for someone who has peanut hay, but couldn’t find any. As far as I know TSC only has alfalfa and Timothy, but I’ll see what else they could get..

Best thing to do is ask the people at TS if they know a place to get it, TS here also has a comunity board where people can stick up a ad. ACE hardware here has a huge feed and animal supply, also you can look on CL...
TS has bagged peanut hay , but it's costly.....the costal hay has been the best choice for my goats, they prefer it over the peanut hay :)

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Best thing to do is ask the people at TS if they know a place to get it, TS here also has a comunity board where people can stick up a ad. ACE hardware here has a huge feed and animal supply, also you can look on CL...
TS has bagged peanut hay , but it's costly.....the costal hay has been the best choice for my goats, they prefer it over the peanut hay :)

Thanks a lot. This helps!

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update: I got a bale of coastal hay to see if my goats will like it. I put some down in the feeder, they searched it for alfalfa pellets, didn't find any, then looked at me as in "are you kidding me"?...I haven't managed to find peanut hay besides bulk sale and quite a hefty bill to ship. Where did I go wrong? And if anyone in south florida has a peanut hay bale to spare I'll pay extra for it...I need to try it before I make a big purchase for nothing..

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update: I got a bale of coastal hay to see if my goats will like it. I put some down in the feeder, they searched it for alfalfa pellets, didn't find any, then looked at me as in "are you kidding me"?...I haven't managed to find peanut hay besides bulk sale and quite a hefty bill to ship. Where did I go wrong? And if anyone in south florida has a peanut hay bale to spare I'll pay extra for it...I need to try it before I make a big purchase for nothing..

Honestly, don't over indulge them, put the costal hay in the hay feeder, cut out the alpha pellets till the cooler weather, if you feed them pellet feed cut back the amount a little.....they will eat the hay, ...they need the hay for a balanced rumen, are they burping and chewing their cud ?
I paid alot for peanut hay, alfalfa hay....didnt care for it...costal is just fine for our Florida spoiled goats...got loose minerals for them ?
With the weather we have had i am adding some pro biotics and corrid to their water just for preventing any problems ....
We are supposest to lead them, lol, not follow their demands lol...good luck to you :)

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Honestly, don't over indulge them, put the costal hay in the hay feeder, cut out the alpha pellets till the cooler weather, if you feed them pellet feed cut back the amount a little.....they will eat the hay, ...they need the hay for a balanced rumen, are they burping and chewing their cud ?
I paid alot for peanut hay, alfalfa hay....didnt care for it...costal is just fine for our Florida spoiled goats...got loose minerals for them ?
With the weather we have had i am adding some pro biotics and corrid to their water just for preventing any problems ....
We are supposest to lead them, lol, not follow their demands lol...good luck to you :)

Noted. I will cut back the alfalfa pellets (nubian is gonna vocalize this phase loudly). Yes, they burp and chew their cud normally. Yeah, the coastal hay bale was for $9 compared to the $20 alfalfa bale lol...I have loose minerals for them, they don't touch it (any advice on this? Maybe a brand recommendation?). Thanks a lot for the input!