Not necessarily a disease, but illness??

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What might cause rabbits to lose their appetite? I have three does, -two 1/4 flemish Giant 3/4 new Zealand;, one Californian; and a Californian buck.

I house them each separately. Each has a spacious cage. Their diet is consistent. Mainly their pellets (one cup each, and each ways about 8-10lbs.) They get treats of alfalfa, dandelion, an occasional 1/2 banana, but treats are not common, and never alot. they also get twigs--apple, etc to chew on.

My buck, who is just over a year old , has lost his appetite. He still eats a bit, but he still has some food left over by the next feeding. He gets fed one cup of pellets. I have been strictly monitoring his treats b/c of his appetite.

Also, lately ( the last two times), he has not been able to complete the deed. It is not for lack of effort, he gets an A+ for that, but he is just not "connecting". the does seem receptive, but he's not completing the deed.

could the two be related? If so, any advice on how to fix it?

Then, just the appetite--any advice for that? His teeth are not too long, he is in otherwise apparent good health.

Then for the mating--Any advice for that? The does are not too fat, and they seem in good shape too. His effort and ambition is intact. he just cannot complete the transaction, so to speak.

Thanks in advance, and glad to see the rabbit section here!!!

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
is he overweight? How are the temps outside? Mine don't eat as well or breed very well when it is hot out. Maybe that helps? Also at a year old he may not be very experienced at breeding. I have also had to hold larger does rear end up to help when breeding to a smaller buck or maybe he is just wearing himself out before getting it right. Of course, I have my own problems with the little buggers dying so mabe someone who knows something will join in!

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He has fathered 6 litters already, so inexperience should not be a factor. I too considered the temps, but we have had an unusually cool summer, with temps being around 70-80 F With a few days over 90F, so don't think that could be the issue?

But after I posted, I got to thinking, maybe the does were too big for him. The two I tried to breed him with, were the two FG/NW cross, and they are bigger than him. None of my bunns are overweight, but there is a size difference between the FG/NZ, and the californian.

So, maybe the inability to consumate (ahem) might be a size issue, although, he has fathered nice sized litters in the past with those two does(?), and the appetite might be the heat? But then why would the does appetite not be affected. Sorry, I guess I am thinking out loud here, but if anyone has some insight, please chime in--let's brainstorm this!

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks, I was just reading in a post on BYC about that. so now I'm considering that. I will have to look up what the issue might be. do rabbits get furballs like cats????

Fancypants4569

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He COULD be overweight, and the reason I say this is because I only feed 1/2 cup twice a day. So Im not sure whether your saying you feed 1 cup per feeding, or 1 cup total per day? I have Califs and Satins and feeding 1/2 cup per feeding seems to be perfect for them. I used to feed more but I got tired of them wasting so much food because after they ate their fill they would dump their bowls out of bordem. So I cut back on the amount of food they eat and they dont waste it anymore and they are all at the weights they should be. Hope that helped a little :/

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found out what it was--it was his feed. He was not pooping either. The feed that I get for them changetheir formula, and the fibre content went down from 20% to "between 13% and 18%). He wan't getting enough fibre.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only time mine went off their feed was when they couldn't get any water from their watering nipples. I'd check that if you use these types of watering systems. Rabbits won't eat if they can't drink.

Rabbits can become dehydrated within a couple of days and die, even in winter months.