Not our LGD but our GSD!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I often post pics of our LGD's. But this time I captured our GSD. We are training our goat kids to walk on lead. Whether or not they go to the fair, all goats should be trained to walk on lead, much like a dog. In this video notice the Nigerian putting up a fuss... notice the German Shepherd Dog watching. When she perceives that the goat is challenging her human she comes in to intervene... not aggressive, just "there"... at the same time my daughter lets her know all is ok and points... our Shepherd immediately retreats. A well trained dog is priceless, especially around livestock. Forgive the mess- we are spending time with our animals! :) "Adelina" (GSD) is poultry safe, goat safe, and anything that belongs to us safe! BTW this is a started Schutzhund high prey drive GSD. LOVE my GSD!
I love how her focus is on the goat acting up not the goats walking past her peacefully.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
When one refuses to walk like Boots does in the video , spin them in a tight circle a few times where if they don't move they fall down
Then widen the circle
Or sometimes try to pull the lead so they walk backwards
I have no suggestions if they lay down like the LaMancha in the other thread
Use treats for training but not at the show
Evan Evans gave Rachel a good scolding when she caught her giving Coleus alfalfa pellets one time
Scolded mom and dad too

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL @OneFineAcre that video was about the dog!

BUT...
spin them in a tight circle a few times where if they don't move they fall down
We did that and she fell right over! :lol:
Although I don't want that to happen... I want it to be as positive as can be... she did good most of the time.
Thanks for the tip. We can sure use it! Silly goats!

I have no suggestions if they lay down like the LaMancha in the other thread
Oh she is a total DIVA! But better. A little each day and she is improving.
Funny thing is all our goats are lead trained early on. We are WAY behind this year. Just so much going on. :( I was working with our son walking for months.... goats weren't the priority.

Scolded mom and dad too
:lol::lol::lol:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My GSD is from working lines as well, and I'm so glad yours worked out better, lol. Mine is a completely spaz over everything, she's so high drive all the time there is no off switch. Her father is the same way. She has no idea with livestock, like she wants to herd them, but doesnt' realize where NOT to stand and gets booted in the head. Our cattle dog is so much smarter, he seems to know that if he nips and doesn't retreat, he's going to go airborne! The GSD has never managed to catch on how to play fetch either...she's totally not the brightest bulb in the package, cattle dog picked it up really fast.
The bright side is our GSD is completely other animal friendly and doesn't try to kill anything. The cattle dog kills pigeons lol.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alexz7272, no video is showing on my monitor. Like I said I don't see a video, no video icon of any type is showing in Southern's first post. Nada. I'm feeling deprived!