Not sure if mine got vaccines yet

doodlelover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, my husband got three goats from someone off craigslist. (I know, not always the best idea, but we liked their personalities and wanted to help them out) Now that we have them, we are finding things that were not taken care of (The mom has a skin condition/lice/something else going on, two of the three have overgrown hooves, etc.). He said the mom, Lucy, is about 2-3 years old, and the babies are about 6 months, he also claimed they had their vaccinations, but I am somewhat doubting this. Could it harm them to give them shots a second time if they did in fact have them?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, it won't harm them.
Lice you can see. Mites you cannot, you can only see the evidence unless you do a skin scraping and it isn't worth it. To treat for either use Permethrins 10% mix up according to directions and spray or pour over goat. Warm day is best. Take care to get around the feet, as hoof mites are common. Mites are very common and they are more prevalent in the fall. They "happen". Is the coat dry and flaky, dry and flaky with rougher coat, any chewing? chewing where? sides, feet, back?
If no signs of chewing and just other symptoms it could be nutritional.
Do you have minerals for them and a good goat feed?
Hooves... depending on the weather and ground they are and genetics, some goats hooves can grow like crazy, some don't.

As long as they aren't covered in scab and their hooves aren't so overgrown it is causing walking difficulty, or rot then they probably will be just fine with hoof care, feed, mineral TLC.

Congratulations! and Welcome to BYH! :frow

doodlelover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't see any bugs, she just has this spot on the top of her head with small, round, white things attached to the hair (eggs?) Then under that, at the skin, there is this thick, crusty, whitish looking area that is cracked (can't tell if it is junk caked on or if it is her skin). It kind of looks like cradle cap that babies can get. I took a picture but can't post it yet. I haven't noticed any chewing, occasionally I see them scratch with their back legs. I picked up this pour on power at the Tractor Supply and put it on a week ago but I don't see a difference.

They have a mineral block and baking soda out, and get sweet grain and hay as well as about an acre of fresh grass to eat.

doodlelover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh, and they ate about 1/3 of the mineral block in a matter of days, so I think they did really need that.

I am concerned about her hooves because they were grown to the point of being bent sideways, but I have been trimming them and they are getting much better.

Thanks for your advice!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad they are getting the mineral and the care they need.
The powders sometimes work, it depends whether the mites are sucking or biting, burrowing or non -burrowing. Using the permethrins 10% concentrate will kill both.
I would also recommend getting fecals run.

If not positive on the CDT you may want to give 1st dose then 3 weeks to a month later 2nd dose. Different veterinarians have different protocol so if you have a vet it would be good to ask.

Can't wait to see pics!:)

Latest posts