Notes on Welsh Harlequinn ducks

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I thought I might post a thought about these Welsh Harlequinn ducks.

They are really pretty. And I've been shocked.

But initially not long after I got them, I was worried about it because the colors of their beaks and heads was different than their pictures. I thought they were defective and maybe that I'd gotten some messed up strains. I didn't decide to get rid of them, and I wasn't mad but I'd accepted that maybe I got some with bad genes. The feather colors looked a bit off too.

Well two days I see that the colors on them is changing still! They are now almost 3 months old. And almost all of this time I thought I had defective ducks.

But yesterday I realized they were going to end up the right colors that they were supposed to. Today was the first day the bill colors was starting to look right, and the white is coming through also in the main body coloring. The drakes heads are finally turning the right coloring also.

The reason I thought to post this is that maybe there's others like me that thought they got defective ducks and are disappointed. But then when they get older they can surprise you.

So the bottom line is that there's still hope.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many animals are like that. Horse genetics -- foals born black that will be white within a year. :lol:

Many bird and reptile are born with camouflage coloring --- changing as they age. Glad you kept the ducks and learned.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Many animals are like that. Horse genetics -- foals born black that will be white within a year. :lol:

Many bird and reptile are born with camouflage coloring --- changing as they age. Glad you kept the ducks and learned.

Nice thought about the camouflage! Thanks.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lucky you! I have haunted multiple TSCs for several chick seasons now, and still not gotten any WH from there. I finally resorted to having Rural King special order some for me.

So is Rural King a hatchery? And are they any good?

I used Metzer to get mine. And they came all intact and life (maybe because of asking for gro gel also?).