Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, woke up early on Independence Day, to a steady downpour..well, not a deluge, just slow steady rain and it continued thru out the morning until afternoon. Since the bbqing was to be done at my eldest sister's place, and her smoker/grill is made of oilfield pipe and thus weighs about 600 lbs, no wheels and the ground was soggy, I couldn't move it under the carport with the tractor without rutting up her yard.
Onward thru the fog. My youngest son met me there at 8am and we got started. My sister did have 2 small grills she did the sausage on and other sister did some other meat at her home across the street before arriving at noon. Fire, smoke, dead animals. This, is why we are at the top of the food chain. Because of the rain, and everything was already seasoned and marinated, we decided to just put a light bark on both kinds of ribs and the chicken, then individually wrap each in foil to actually cook. I did not get a lot of pictures because of the inclement weather. I ended up doing only 2 slabs of ribs, as there was a death in the extended family and some were not going to make it to the gathering, and I never could get a firm count on how many were comeing..bounced between a firm 13 people to as many as 23, then back down. Ended up with 16 there today and we had plenty to eat.
My son at the pit. He and I were both already soaked pretty good by this time.

View attachment 49997
2 slabs of ribs and about 3 lbs of country cut ribs.

View attachment 49998

I do not add bbq sauce until the meat is almost done and I'm not real fond of sweet bbq sauce, tho I did have some honey type sauce my wife likes on ribs.
I had bought several different bbq sauces, and son#3 had brought some, which I recognized from my days of living in S. La. (until very recently he still lived in Lafayette and is married to a wonderful Cajun girl..they now live in Tomball Tx)
Jack Millers is the name of the sauce he brought, and it is a 'basting' sauce according to the label. Until you shake it up, the top 1/3 of the bottle looks and feels like grease. I would put it only a couple notches above what is arguably the worst bbq sauce ever made, the infamous Pig Stand bbq sauce. However, I deferred to his thoughts, since he was doing most of the wet weather work and we did use it on the ribs.
Jack Millers:
s-l1600.jpg

It tastes about like it looks.

Since we weren't really smoking the meat, and needed it to be ready by a noon30 serving time, there was no 'low and slow' today and we kept the temp between 250-325 degF.
We did end up leaving the ribs on a little too long. Were able to get them off without the slabs falling apart, put I did have to be very careful when cutting them into serving size portions.
View attachment 49999
Chicken and sausage.
View attachment 50000

There was a screw up on the sausage. I had 3 five packs of links I really like and my eldest sister had said she already had some as well, of a different kind. When I got there, as the sausage was already smoked as it came from the store, it would be the last thing on the grill. When I got there and unloaded everything, I handed m niece the sausage and told her to put it in the refrigerator. Unknown to me, the frige was chock-a-block full, so she put it in a cloth grocery bag, came back out and laid it on the table under the carport with a bunch other stuff and didn't tell me. When I went in to get it from my sister, sis told me she "had already took care of the sausage and did it in the oven". When we ate, I got one of the links, which my sis had put sticks in, and found it way more spicy than it should have been and my b-i-l said they were awful hot for that brand of link. It was only when son and I were cleaning up and putting everything away so sis could get her truck back under the carport that I found the 3 packs of sausage in that red bag. I had gone light on my seasoning of all the meat because my son has bouts with gout and one of my b-i-ls has Diverticulosis so sicy sausage was off the menu...that sausage my sister put on the skewer sticks was pretty dang hot..some she had bought.

The ice cream. Worked out pretty good, tho still a far cry from Blue Bell. I did have trouble with my churn. The plastic gear at the top of the can and it's mating gear in both the hand crank and the electric unit kept jumping the teeth. A fairly expensive unit, 1 1/2 gallons and I haven't used it but a few times, but it did finally freeze and I got to use my 1947 Hamilton Beach malt mixer like you used to see at the drug store ice cream counter to make a few malted milk shakes.

I did promise myself this would be the last time I tried to do this at someone else's home. Just too much trouble and too many unknowns even with getting everything ready the night before.

We originally had a Plan B, which was to just put a bark on the meat on the grill right quick, but actually cook all the pork in 3 electric roasters we had there. I wish we had gone that route. I can do a full slab of ribs in an electric roaster and they really come out great. Not much fun bbqing in the rain.
Fantastic POST! Was as much fun reading as it was viewing the whole pictorial. What a feast.
It's safe to say you know you're way around the grill.
As far as the sauce towards the end, DH & I agree, at least that's the way we both like it. Just enough to warm the sauce and maybe add a tad of smokiness to it. Most of the time we just are dippers as needed. Last eve though the chicken was tossed in homemade sauce after it was brought indoors. I'm about to share pics next.
Thank you for sharing your feast! One beast of a feast.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Homegrown beef-nuttin like it. I miss having Angus beef we raised,ready to go in the icebox. When we branched off into raising pork, we were getting a faster return on our investment. So the swine started needing more space- "Manifest destiny". So between our big herd of goats and pork program, space was limited now and we were starting to be at the mercy of the hay companies because of allocating space for other stock.
Don't get me wrong, that was some of the best beef to ever tease our taste buds, but you need lots of land for multi head of beef.. so we jumped off of the beef train. So swine sales allows us to buy prime beef instead, it's not the same taste- but it's beef!
That's a mighty fine brisket you have there. I'll bet it tasted as fine as it looks.
Thanks for sharing.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That all looks absolutely delicious! I love the modified Brinkman smoker - it says you're serious about smoking some meat!
Having the ribs much higher than the original design height, allows you to smoke at a greater length of time without drying out the meat. Even though heat travels upwards, it is still hotter closer to the fire, and even though there is a water pan buffer, it is still hotter closes to the fire. Inside of the lid top is a hanger handle. If all the racks are removed, a 50/60# pig can be butterflied and cooked whole. Of course it's not 55# after prepped/dressed, just the hang length can be accommodated . And has.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense! Looks good, sounds good and no doubt tastes awesome! Off to Craigs list to see if anyone has any extra smoker's for sale!

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Simple Simon yard bird cooked over Blackjack oak and Kingsford.
20180707_215429.jpg

This is a tossing bowl that was used to mix the sauce onto the yard buzzard. Photo was taken after the toss. All of those scraps that fell of the bird bones, was mixed into the baked beans already slow cooking with baby sausages- while the chicken was resting and warming the sauce.
20180707_231130.jpg

DSC00006.JPG

So in the final product, green onion and crisp bell pepper was dumped on the plates to give a crispy crunch complement to the sauce tossed bird.

Boiled some shell pasta, added Velveeta cheese and jalapeño juices as a second side to the baked beans.
DSC00004 copy.jpg

Hit the spot. Simple traditional BBQ dish. Sleepy time during the after math. Time to nod out.
DSC00001.JPG

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see some leg quarters are the other pieces thighs?
Chicken breast is way over rated
I always get leg quarters for the grill

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see some leg quarters are the other pieces thighs?
Chicken breast is way over rated
I always get leg quarters for the grill
Winner winner BBQ chicken leg quarter dinner!!
legquarters are the best for bbq..and about the cheapest too.
Never 'dry' like the breasts are.

Connie, I liked every bit of yours right up till I saw the little sausages/weenies in the beans.

I have eaten or traded 9 gondola carloads of them, from little olive drab green cans labeled "Beans with frankfurter chunks in tomato sauce" and never again intend to eat beansNweenies.
(I cannot, on this board tell you what we called those particular c rations)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right GB but it has been a long time since that description has crossed my mind but I had the same thought. :)

Everything else looked great!