Now for a real challenge

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
He seems to be doing well....and has gained 8g in weight. He's lively and his swollen eye has resolved and looks quite normal now.

My hedgehog milk didn't arrive yesterday although it was supposed to, but he's very enthusiastic about his 'high protein, high calorie canine recovery diet' which I'm getting from the vet and mixing with warm water to give him fluids.

I've changed my view about his chances of survival since yesterday.....he's looking so much more healthy.

Pan on food.jpg

He's also 'emptying out' regularly now.....took a while for anything to come through.

BreanneRN

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are so cute... Sorry they are having troubles over there, but glad you are helping. I have read somewhere that they were kept in the cottages to control bugs that they would come out and eat at night. Wish I had one, but non-native animals are not legal here (at least not without all kinds of paperwork and some kind of license). But did get to see some at the County Fair one year, for a small fee. Good luck with your boy, looks like he is doing well!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
This little boy is an eating machine now. Weight approx 145g now, and with a fat little belly.

Having contacted the local Hedgehog Preservation Society again, they reckon he should be fine to go out into my old rabbit/broody hen pen which is in the sheep shed. I need to keep him there until he weighs about 600g, introducing him to live worms, slugs etc. He can then be released back onto wild land and should cope fine, hibernating in October/November.

He is really funny now, trundling over immediately I fill his little dish with his milk substitute (which he loves).

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So.....just a bit of an update. pan has been outside in an old hen coop with a 'mesh' fronted run and is in the sheep shed.

He's more than double the size he was when I found him and is very active. He is now on cat food alone and has a huge appetite. His spines are fully hardened and he rolls into a ball.

I'm planning to get him used to earthworms and slugs soon and will release him into the garden when he weighs about 500g. He'll still have his dishes of cat food left out at least until he hibernates in October/November time.

I have no idea as to what happened to him in the first place, but am so pleased with his progress.