Now that winter is upon us

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ok so the next question is how much hay at a time to start? we normally feed them morning and night and i've been giving about a fleck of hay mid day. Start with a fleck at morning and night and some grain at lunch to supplement for a bit? It's not cold, but I'm not sure what ratio to start with. He's 9 months old, she's about 7 1/2

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy and Vicky said:
ok so the next question is how much hay at a time to start? we normally feed them morning and night and i've been giving about a fleck of hay mid day. Start with a fleck at morning and night and some grain at lunch to supplement for a bit? It's not cold, but I'm not sure what ratio to start with. He's 9 months old, she's about 7 1/2
As was mentioned before, it's best to feed hay ad libitum, or enough hay they can eat all day or over a 24 hour period. A flick isn't much even for a couple short-yearling calves like yours. So I would go ahead and feed a half or whole bale a day to them, not one fleck thrice a day.

When we had steers we'd feed them round bales enough that they'd be eating at them for two or three days.

If you want, you could start reducing the grain to 2 lbs a day.

JMHO

herdsman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
yeah unlimited hay and a 1 gallon bucket of grain each of them twice a day that is what I do

Latest posts