Now what....

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This as some of u know is my first breeding season. Been trying to do everything right. Keep my buck seperate from my does and babies. Trying to control breeding times for planning. Sigh. I let my girls and the babies out today to get some grazing time. I put my buck up like always. Double tied the gate. In knots. Top and bottom. And came to the house to sleep for work tonight. I go down to change them out and let my buck go. And guess who is standing at the gate to meet me. Just ambles on up like hey mom! My husband thinks im crazy. Lol. But there is no way that i can see the goats untieing the knots top and bottom and opening the gate to let him out. Someone has had to let him out right? Or have they watched me and learned. My next question is the moms had the babies 4 months ago the 15th and 21st of this month. Is it to soon to breed. Or will they be ok? I hope they didnt take this time on the 1st try. And the hilarious thing is my buck apron will be hear tomorrow. :th. And if i lute them how long does that stay in their system. I wanted to breed them in june. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Sigh.......

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never separated my buck from the does and never had any issues...not everyone is as lucky as me (and I plan on separating my bucks from now on, just didn't have the right situation to separate). I had a doe get bred 3 months after she kidded (her baby didn't make it) and she had no issues kidding 3-months later! I think it really depends on the does condition and on how well she maintains her body condition. I personally wouldn't breed a doe back until 8-9-months after kidding but if she did take and is in good condition I wouldn't lute.

Bucks are stink'in smart!!!!!!!!!!! Is this your first time your buck has gotten out? My buck could undo anything as long as he watched me put it together. Try putting a lock on the outside of the gate. My buck could never undo a lock on the outside of the gate.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes this is the 1st time he has gotten out. And he has tested the fence he was in over and over and never got out. I really dont see how he opened the gate the way it was locked up. The twine wasnt frayed and the gate was opened on the outside of the post which makes no scence to me. The gate is set on the inside of the post. How?? Just how?? And he doesnt have thumbs. Lol.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's probably thinking "why isn't mama pleased with me", lol.

Sounds like he got let out! Most likely if he got himself out he would have had chewed thru the twine.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are they Nigi goats? If so, they could have gotten bred IF they are in season. If they are other breeds that are seasonal breeders you are probably in the clear. Either way, you can ask your vet for some Lutalyse. You would give them the shot after 14 days to abort any kids.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are nubian/alpine boer crosses. I still scratched his ears though. lol Always happy to see my boy! Lol. The twine had not been chewed. And the gate was pulled out from behind the post. Thus my shock. No way them goats did that.

Reactions: TAH