Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We brought my sweet little Cypress home about a month and a half ago. He seemed to be one of the healthiest in my herd until about a week ago. I was struggling with worms and coccidia in my two little doelings, but Cypress seemed fit as a fiddle. I had the vet come out and he gave me some corid to mix in the water supply for a couple days which prompted a quick and complete turn around for my girls. Just about a day after I started thanking the stars that my girls were improving, Cy started scourring. I gave everyone some probiotics and electrolytes and Cy some worming medicine (his eyelids were completely pale) and hoped for the best. It's been about 4-5 days since then and his stools have become pelleted again, but his behavior is way off. So far today he hasn't eaten at all except for what I physically offer him. (If I pick grass or offer hay, he'll nibble at it.) But as the day goes on he keeps getting progressively weaker and more lethargic. I can barely get him to stand and if he does he cries in what seems like pain until he lies down again. He seems like he can barely keep his head up and eyes open. I'm so scared for him. I called the vet and he said to try giving him yogurt, but he refuses to touch it. We got a little shot of probios in him about 10 minutes ago. But that's the extent. The vet's going to drop off some Vitamine B complex in the morning, but I'm not even sure if he's going to make it that long. Anyone have any ideas? @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @Goatgirl47

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was he treated for cocci as well?
You said you dewormed him because his eyes were pale... did you do a fecal?
Eyes can be pale from other things.

He may have pneumonia.

Did you take a temperature? This is very important. It is the basis for where you need to start treatment protocol.

PLEASE- if he doesn't make it get a full necropsy!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I know how hard it is to watch them. Are his eyelids any better than they were before you wormed him?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes. I mixed the medicine into the water and sweetened it as per the vet's suggestion. They've been off the medicine since Wednesday, but since he was showing no signs of improvement I gave only him a dose yesterday morning and this morning. We have not done a fecal. The vet is unable to come until tomorrow morning, but I will ask if he can do one then if Cy makes it. I've been encouraging him to stand and he's done so twice now for about a minute each time. He's also taken a bit more food, but still just nibbles at at time.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first thought is he needs thiamine asap- RX thiamine- your vet is bringing b complex tomorrow
You can get this at any feedstore (b complex)
The Rx thiamine is straight and at a higher level... they just pee out what they don't need

I am not a vet but I suspect that is what your vet is thinking because they want to do the b-complex
Corid works by inhibiting thiamine- goats need thiamine

I know it doesn't change anything but I wanted to say that many many many farms are struggling this year with cocci and parasites and pneumonia issues... haven't seen this since 2012...
rain, rain, and rain. I share that so you know you aren't alone. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Really hoping he makes it!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have any friends that raise goats call around and see if any have thiamine. I keep it on hand and have given a few doses to friends in a time of need. You need to try and find it ASAP.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
First of all sorry... That is a hard thing to deal with.
This is what my vet did to save my baby doeling.
Cydectin oral drench.
IMG_20170627_115041.jpg
She says double the dose recommended foe sheep.

Also sulmet drinking water solution.
IMG_20170705_130405.jpg
She recommended and gave us this bottle.

As well as nutri drench for goats
IMG_20170627_115525.jpg
Nutrition supplement to aid in eatimg and weight gain.

Or little pj was bad. Real bad. By short of a miracle she was saved.
This treatment really worked for her. I would check into it.
I hope the best for you!