Nubian or mini Nubian?

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! Brand new here, and fairly new to goats in general. So I'm attempting to start breeding ADGA registered Nubians. I currently have a few does and a buck. I just purchased what is supposed to be an 8 month old ADGA registerable Nubian doeling. She seemed small when I bought her, but she was crouched down in a crate so I didn't think much of it. Got home and compared her to my others and realized she's TINY. Way too small to breed yet. Wrote it off as, well, maybe she's just a slow grower...until I found her breeders Facebook page, and a post about this doeling needing to be DNA tested because her dam jumped out of the breeding pen. The breeder mostly has Nigerian Dwarves, and just a couple Nubians. This doeling is only about 50-55 lbs at 8 months. Putting two and two together, I'm worried that I actually just bought a Nubian/ND cross, which I absolutely don't want. So..has anyone had a purebred Nubian this small at 8 months or did I just get taken for a ride? :\

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! Brand new here, and fairly new to goats in general. So I'm attempting to start breeding ADGA registered Nubians. I currently have a few does and a buck. I just purchased what is supposed to be an 8 month old ADGA registerable Nubian doeling. She seemed small when I bought her, but she was crouched down in a crate so I didn't think much of it. Got home and compared her to my others and realized she's TINY. Way too small to breed yet. Wrote it off as, well, maybe she's just a slow grower...until I found her breeders Facebook page, and a post about this doeling needing to be DNA tested because her dam jumped out of the breeding pen. The breeder mostly has Nigerian Dwarves, and just a couple Nubians. This doeling is only about 50-55 lbs at 8 months. Putting two and two together, I'm worried that I actually just bought a Nubian/ND cross, which I absolutely don't want. So..has anyone had a purebred Nubian this small at 8 months or did I just get taken for a ride? :\

Sounds like a possibility she is a Miniature Nubian.
Did you receive papers on the doe? Falsifying papers is a big deal so if you have the DNA checked you will know. Did sample from Nubian buck that is lested as sire will confirm.
On the other side... was she a triplet or quad? Is she from a smaller Nubian Line?
Was there other environmental issues such as coccidia when young? Parasites? This has been a bad year for many so there are other factors as why she could be stunted.

I would talk with the breeder and express your concerns. Accidents happen and the thing is there can be more than 1 sire in a litter.

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I received her registration application listing her as purebred Nubian. Is there a way to find out if her sire has DNA on file? I just joined the ADGA and am awaiting my pin number so I'm not sure if there's a way to find out online or not.

She wasn't even a twin - she was a single. No coccidia or anything to the best of my knowledge, but I suppose it's possible the breeder didn't disclose it.

I did email the breeder last night but haven't received a response yet.

Sounds like a possibility she is a Miniature Nubian.
Did you receive papers on the doe? Falsifying papers is a big deal so if you have the DNA checked you will know. Did sample from Nubian buck that is lested as sire will confirm.
On the other side... was she a triplet or quad? Is she from a smaller Nubian Line?
Was there other environmental issues such as coccidia when young? Parasites? This has been a bad year for many so there are other factors as why she could be stunted.

I would talk with the breeder and express your concerns. Accidents happen and the thing is there can be more than 1 sire in a litter.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have pics of the doeling? When we had Mini Nubians, our F-1 (Nubian dam, Nigerian sire) clearly looked different than our purebred Nubians.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wingin' it Farms Home of Wings & Caprines Mini Nub Emmy.JPG
Wings & Caprines Black Jade 5 months (1).JPG
Red goat is a F-1 Mini Nubian. Black/white goat is PB Nubian.

These does are 1/2 siblings (same dam). If possible, I would still do the DNA testing.

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have pics of the doeling? When we had Mini Nubians, our F-1 (Nubian dam, Nigerian sire) clearly looked different than our purebred Nubians.

I'll get some ASAP and post them. She does look Nubian. I googled mini Nubians before I posted and all the pictures that came up looked like regular Nubians but definitely could've been different generations - I freely admit I don't understand the f-1, f-2, etc lol.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I received her registration application listing her as purebred Nubian. Is there a way to find out if her sire has DNA on file? I just joined the ADGA and am awaiting my pin number so I'm not sure if there's a way to find out online or not.

She wasn't even a twin - she was a single. No coccidia or anything to the best of my knowledge, but I suppose it's possible the breeder didn't disclose it.

I did email the breeder last night but haven't received a response yet.
You can, under member services (Lookup goat). You can also to to ADGA Gentetics and check.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll get some ASAP and post them. She does look Nubian. I googled mini Nubians before I posted and all the pictures that came up looked like regular Nubians but definitely could've been different generations - I freely admit I don't understand the f-1, f-2, etc lol.
You can have MN's look like PB Nubians, but it takes many generations of breeding to do this. If the breeder only has Nigerian and Nubian bucks (No mini's) this wouldn't be an issue. If this goat IS a mini, then a Nigerian would be the sire and the kids wouldn't have quite the breed character of a true Nubian.

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures (if I'm did this right, that is!)
IMG_20181029_130403990.jpg
IMG_20181029_130443124.jpg
IMG_20181029_130357068.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181029_130357068.jpg
    IMG_20181029_130357068.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 209

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can, under member services (Lookup goat). You can also to to ADGA Gentetics and check.

I can't access member services yet, still awaiting my PIN number. Where on ADGA genetics would it be? I've looked but couldn't find it.

Latest posts